4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2014 4:06 PM by Izjar11 RSS

The spawn system

Bubbakush

I pretty sure just about everyone who has played CoD has had spawn deaths most have even pulled of full spawn traps especially back in Black ops 2 (Nuketown and Hijacked being the main culprits for me) but with the new ghost spawns i personally never saw or experienced more than one or two ever few matches.

Until today. I hopped on and booted up HC objective for the new DLC and get a game of  HC KC on departed. I spawn in mid game and decide to go hunting for a spot to get my baring of the map. I notice the back area of the market that has a half open storm door so i walk in and look out the window with the dumpster and what do i find? Yes, that's correct someone spawning. (now i have never spawned trapped before yes i have gotten a few kills as someone popped in but really who hasn't) So i think cool free kill and let off a few rounds and then bam, another one, and another one, all in total i had seven kills as players from the other team spawned right in my view until the "logic" took over and moved the spawn five feet to the left. Thus placing the players behind the wall in the graveyard out of my view.

Now for my question. I have talked about this with some friends who like me have played a verity of FPS games (From CoD and BF to Unreal torny and Counter strike) to get a feel on what would be a better spawn system.

We all came down to a system that spawns players outside the map and then they walk through a door or something along those lines onto the map or a BF type spawn on teammates option.

Or would perhaps just more "logic" be used in the spawn system in place because honestly there is no reason seven players should spawn into obvious death.

Also any other ideas are welcome.     

• Re: The spawn system
          Izjar11

Playing other FPS games and (HC Ghost) if they were to add a slight spawn delay it would drastically cut these incidences. The game needs to choose where to spawn players, but the speed at which this happens (because) I believe no one likes to wait forces the game to do dumb things like spawning in front of enemies.

Bubbakush

While i do agree that because players do not like waiting (and finding the action which is why we have these static spawns) is why i had seven spawn into my fire and not one or two. But i disagree the game necessarily needs to choose where you spawn. In BF for example you can spawn on a squad mate if they are not currently engaging the enemy. Now while i don't actually like BF i do love that spawn system as i can at least have a basic idea area of where i just spawn in and i know i have a buddy near.   

Izjar11

Bubbakush wrote:

In BF for example you can spawn on a squad mate if they are not currently engaging the enemy. Now while i don't actually like BF i do love that spawn system as i can at least have a basic idea area of where i just spawn in and i know i have a buddy near.   

I play BF and I have died countless times spawning on a squad leader with the enemy shooting him down, but I spawned with him so the guy got a easy double kill. The spawn issues in COD are not alone, games life BF4 with much bigger maps have the same issues.

LVLikeG

The only problem I see with spawning them out of the map is that they could just stay there.  I suppose they could have the player start taking damage if they don't move out quick enough, but that would probably make spawn trapping easier.  I don't think spawning on teammates would work well due to the size of the maps.  Respawn delay would certainly help, but I think many players would be against it.  Better spawn logic is the only solution I can think of. 

Bubbakush

To further explain the idea it would be nothing really more than a loading menu basically. pick class and then spawn in walking into the map through some random door or something but not just dropped into the map in some random corner or pathway. Yes there is still the possibility of spawn traps i think with the amount of random doors, gates and broken fences it would be minimal. Also yes it would be like the out of bounds timers in other games 10-20 seconds to leave or you die.

You are right though spawning on teammates is probably not going to work on the smaller maps but i feel the bigger ones would benefit from that type of system.

Izjar11

LVLikeG wrote:

The only problem I see with spawning them out of the map is that they could just stay there.  I suppose they could have the player start taking damage if they don't move out quick enough, but that would probably make spawn trapping easier.  I don't think spawning on teammates would work well due to the size of the maps.  Respawn delay would certainly help, but I think many players would be against it.  Better spawn logic is the only solution I can think of.

I agree but then why haven't these game designers (who studied this) cannot design the best system? It just wont happen any time soon. From HC matches the waiting never produces those evil in front of other spawns, atleast from my experience it hasn't.