39 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2014 8:06 PM by Alky6 RSS

Opinions on those self-described "Gods of Call of Duty"

DocChoi

It seems like recently the forums have shifted from camping vs rushing to threads launching personal attacks on players who are deemed "average". People should realize in public lobbies, it's expected that half (if not more) the players are casual players and are expected to play average. Beating up on noobs and playing objective for the sole purpose of achieving KEM strikes is not what is considered "good" by the general player community. Sure, maybe among the 12-15 year old Youtube crowd that drool over a double KEM blitz spawn trapping game it's considered amazing; but to those seasoned players, we know there is no way in hell that would happen against half decent players.

This is why IMO players should have some sort of self-restraint as we all have some Schadenfreude in all of us. We would love to see some of you self-proclaimed Gods of CoD fail miserably in a game or two and bask in your anti-glory. This is why I advise *against* talking crap in the lobbies as people will enjoy spamming you when you end up having that crap game.

Disclaimer: I am not a player who has k/d envy and am just giving some self-described good advice to avoid trouble later on.

• Re: Opinions on those self-described "Gods of Call of Duty"
          ghamorra

This may hijack your thread but I feel it fits.

The "average" player is determined based on their K/D and whether or not it's less than, equal to, or greater than 1.0.

I completely disagree. The average player, to me, has a K/D of 1.2+ or a <.8 and I'll explain why.

There's such a massive separation in skill in this game that I find it disturbing. I rarely, and I mean rarely see anyone with a K/D between .8 and 1.2. There's a huge gap in stats that's missing and I think this also gives reason to the whole "K/D is irrelevant" argument we've seen a lot of lately. From what I've browsed and come across K/D mostly sit around 1.2 and up or sub .8 and it's well documented online. If you look at your friends list you'll see that K/Ds never sit around "average" they sit well above or well below and the mixing of the two gives you the 1.0 average (.8+1.2=2/2=1.0)

Now to go further with this "average" debate. I find that games are often blow outs or "who can beat up on the other teams randoms the fastest". I see lop-sided matches or I see one guy on each team with a ridiculous score relative to the rest of the team.

Like I said above. We're mixing two extremes together to get an average and when we're discussing skill or something you can't mix two extremes and call the middle "average" because realistically that doesn't exist hardly at all. Instead we have too forms of average, good average and bad average.

The reason I think this is is because the game is too easy. Good players play in teams, have essentially mastered spawns, weapons, tactics, and have the knowledge of cheap manipulation of game mechanics. They can't be stopped. While on the other hand you have newbs that don't know what they're doing or you have a decent player that's always solo and therefore can never trust his team to give him traction and therefore is overwhelmed.

DocChoi

Good points. This is why with some of the forum posters boasting about their k/d, I try to interject by stating there are good high k/d players and bad high k/d players similar to what you described in your post (where good high k/d players have good score per game).  I do agree with you the game is too easy and players like ourselves have for the most part mastered the game mechanics to do well consistently.

Silz616

This is pretty much bang on. You either play this game and want to learn every mechanic, or you're a casual who does't get that deep into it. The skill (or knowledge) gap is then huge.

AntiGov

ghamorra wrote:

This may hijack your thread but I feel it fits.

The "average" player is determined based on their K/D and whether or not it's less than, equal to, or greater than 1.0.

I completely disagree. The average player, to me, has a K/D of 1.2+ or a <.8 and I'll explain why.

There's such a massive separation in skill in this game that I find it disturbing. I rarely, and I mean rarely see anyone with a K/D between .8 and 1.2. There's a huge gap in stats that's missing and I think this also gives reason to the whole "K/D is irrelevant" argument we've seen a lot of lately. From what I've browsed and come across K/D mostly sit around 1.2 and up or sub .8 and it's well documented online. If you look at your friends list you'll see that K/Ds never sit around "average" they sit well above or well below and the mixing of the two gives you the 1.0 average (.8+1.2=2/2=1.0)

Now to go further with this "average" debate. I find that games are often blow outs or "who can beat up on the other teams randoms the fastest". I see lop-sided matches or I see one guy on each team with a ridiculous score relative to the rest of the team.

Like I said above. We're mixing two extremes together to get an average and when we're discussing skill or something you can't mix two extremes and call the middle "average" because realistically that doesn't exist hardly at all. Instead we have too forms of average, good average and bad average.

The reason I think this is is because the game is too easy. Good players play in teams, have essentially mastered spawns, weapons, tactics, and have the knowledge of cheap manipulation of game mechanics. They can't be stopped. While on the other hand you have newbs that don't know what they're doing or you have a decent player that's always solo and therefore can never trust his team to give him traction and therefore is overwhelmed.

So in one thread you stated the skill gap was small and in this one you state it's high, which is it?

I tend to pick up those "average" players when I have an open spot on my team and once they're there the majority of them have no idea how to play as a team. Good players use teamwork to win and the Call of Duty community in general cannot grasp the concept of teamwork, I blame the developers for making every game so focused on the individual rather than the team.

ghamorra

If I said the skill gap was small then I did a bad job at trying to communicate a point. The breadth of skill needed in Call of Duty is small. There's a limitation of skill due to guns being incredibly accurate and perks that totally remove the need for certain skills. The game is designed in such a way that bad players can do good and good players can do poorly.

What I'm referring to hear is the result of this. You don't have a consistent flow of stats. You either do very well or very poorly. Rarely do I see a stat that indicates average. It's either good or bad.

slyd0g55

Can't say I recall such a player.But match making lobbies are needed heavily, or the case of party players getting shuffled amongst the others, clan lobbies are a must, so these amount of KEM rewards are fewer, some of those YT channels ,players are getting 600! WTF I have been involved with 3 ,1 mine another a friend an 1 to a random , I mean they just rarely happen in HC , Core should be abolished lol ,it's already starting with the quicker deaths so they just need to finalize it with no HUB, & no killcam , in HC  they kinda give you an angle of where the shooter is 

It's maybe why other developers are trying to change PvP with involving them in a co-op mode because noobs aren't gonna have the time to learn against experienced players      

nicedrewishfela

Like I have had to say a lot recently.... You are only as good as your last game.

Whatever peoples stats might be, we all go into a lobby on even footing.

I think we take this into account, it saves a lot of the grief that goes on.

Unfortunately, some folks are so insecure about themselves they have to feel superior to others in a video game.

DocChoi

Drewish, your last sentence is very reflective of the gaming community as a whole. Was playing with jnikoley this week and we had one bad game and this guy on the other team had to rub it in and was such a tough guy that he turned off his mic after he got his bit in. And we're usually pretty quiet and are some of the more polite players online, but seriously... some of these guys just make you want to follow them into another lobby and stomp them some new virtual anuses.

nicedrewishfela

The best way to shut people up is to beat them... and then, even if they don't shut up... they start sounding sillier and sillier as they keep talking nonsense and you keep beating them.

Got in a lobby a while back with randoms, was dropped into the worst map ever, Freefall. Team was losing badly, by 30 or so on HC TDM.  I was spawn killed several times in a row immediately, and took advantage of the Spawn Delay to watch my teammates to figure out how and why were getting spawn killed ( I wasn't the only one) and why were were losing so badly. Turns out, we had two guys just sitting in the elevator shaft. While they were both positive, the rest of the team was paying for it as they were messing up the spawns pretty badly. I was able to recover somewhat and end even at 7-7, but was way too late to help this team out of the hole. Anyways, the guy at the top of the scoreboard for that team immediately started bashing his teammates asking how we could have lost so badly. I answered, quite honestly, that we had two folks camping in one spot, causing the rest of us to be spawn killed.

Well, he didn't like that too much and immediately started going after me. He bashed my K/D, saying his was higher with less time in game (well, duh?) and pretty much anything he could try to get me on. I just laughed it off and let him rant on. Next match, we were on the same team again. I got over 30 kills and led the team to victory. This pattern continued over the next several games, some with him on my team, and others with him against me. With every match of him running his mouth and me amongst, if not at the top of, the lobby every round... he began to look sillier and sillier. Folks on my team started to be on my side.

I didn't have to say anything, I just had to let my performance speak for me.

gambit1969

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Like I have had to say a lot recently.... You are only as good as your last game.

Whatever peoples stats might be, we all go into a lobby on even footing.

I think we take this into account, it saves a lot of the grief that goes on.

Unfortunately, some folks are so insecure about themselves they have to feel superior to others in a video game.

WHAT, you mean my impressive KD will not get me laid?????? Damn guess i'll die a virgin...

Izjar11

DocChoi wrote:

It seems like recently the forums have shifted from camping vs rushing to threads launching personal attacks on players who are deemed "average". People should realize in public lobbies, it's expected that half (if not more) the players are casual players and are expected to play average. Beating up on noobs and playing objective for the sole purpose of achieving KEM strikes is not what is considered "good" by the general player community. Sure, maybe among the 12-15 year old Youtube crowd that drool over a double KEM blitz spawn trapping game it's considered amazing; but to those seasoned players, we know there is no way in hell that would happen against half decent players.

This is why IMO players should have some sort of self-restraint as we all have some Schadenfreude in all of us. We would love to see some of you self-proclaimed Gods of CoD fail miserably in a game or two and bask in your anti-glory. This is why I advise *against* talking crap in the lobbies as people will enjoy spamming you when you end up having that crap game.

Disclaimer: I am not a player who has k/d envy and am just giving some self-described good advice to avoid trouble later on.

First: Love this word "Schadenfreude"

Second: The children think itz coolXxXXX to gets KEMS

black and white animated GIF

gambit1969

The problem with these  self proclaimed gods is that you wont see them fail because as soon as they start to lose they scream"hacker" at the people beating them and  then dashboard to preserve their epeen.

I have seen them brag about getting their KEM by killwhoring in objective modes and thinking they are gods gift to gaming, personally i'm not impressed by some douchenozzle that artificially inflates his KD by killwhoring in objective modes, in my opinion they are the worst type of player and probably the reason thats puts people off playing objective game modes.

And i can't see their side of the arguement because i can't shove my head that far up my own arse...

ghamorra

A few weeks ago I was riding solo and I ended up going against a bunch of killwhores who didn't care about the objective. My whole team probably died upwards of 30 times each as they would spawntrap us and then right before the spawns flipped they took off to the other side. Problem was, during all of this they never capped 'B' and took their sweet time capturing the flag we just flipped from. The game ended with two guys having 50+ kills and one having 40+. They never strung together a great killstreak so no KEMs and only a handful of helicopters but the most startling fact was we won by 80 points.

gambit1969

We had a similar experience a few clan wars back when Dropzone was a node, we were running in a party of 6 getting slaughtered every game but winning every match by miles because we were getting to and holding the dropzones.

In my opinion if more people played the objectives and spent less time trying to inflate their useless stats far more people would be in these game modes

Silz616

This is so bang on. What's the fun in destroying noobs with "pro" setups? If I play against what I consider noobs, I change my class to something more fun or challenging. Throwing knives and guns I don't use so much along with more obscure perks. Kind of good sportsmanship. You still want to win, but you can't brag about being full partied with vet players using amazing setups, then tell people how bad they must be. I have my try hard classes for "that lobby" when you come up against good players. But I don't use them every game. Why do so many people choose to not play the objective??? May be because they struggle for streaks and are kill capped in TDM for example.

gramthenOOb

People exploit the system and believe they are amazing.  If you run a party of 6 pub-stomping group who spawn traps the enemy team full of new players, I'd EXPECT you to have a high KD.  Play lone wolf against random players (or against another clan yourself) and see how good you do.  It's one of the reasons why so many people run big parties these days.

PUR4IDO

It's pubs. Shyt happens.. sometimes to much,.

Xx67Customs

For anyone that calls themselves a CoD god because they can pub stomp... send them over to RamboEsports Youtube channel and tell them to search for 12 point club. I have news for you... you aren't a CoD god.

Izjar11

how about people who call themselves "beasts"? Are they better than Gods?

DocChoi

Hmm... I feel as though this should be explored in a separate thread

Rexens_View

These "beasts" are funny.

They talk themselves up so much that they end up caving under the pressure they placed upon themselves to perform.

DocChoi

Just as worse is when others put pressure on you to perform. This is always been my rule from the MW2 days. Going into a lobby and boasting how your teammate is going to ruin your opponent because he/she is a beast is basically a kiss of death for that teammate. I usually have a bad game pretty much every time someone did that to me and it happened last night when I went 8-15 in a TDM. It's like the game is self-aware and decides to give you 300% more recoil with a damage nerf and makes opponents appear out of nowhere as punishment.

phxs72

We all have matches like that.  That's one of the many reasons that I avoid trash talking in the lobby.  Sometimes the COD gods decide to smite you down just to remind you that they are out there.  Sometimes I'm the beast and sometimes I'm the bug underneath someone's shoe.

nicedrewishfela

I run into this problem, which is why I don't trash talk. I think a lot of it is I am my harshest, toughest critic. I play well, lead a lobby, then feel pressured to repeat that every match after in that same lobby. I think that sometimes this way I defeat myself before the match even starts.

Been away from the game for a few months, finally played a bit Saturday and Sunday. I was pleased when on Saturday I came in and just dominated every match, leading the scoreboard in most matches I played in, and winning them as well.

Started the same way on Sunday, including a first match in which I came into a HC TDM match late on Containment with the team down by around 10, went 18-4 and helped my team win handily, by double digits at least. Played well for several matches, then I guess I hit a wall. Had a match on Warhawk in which I kept getting Hit Markers and was repeatedly spawn killed, ended 8-16.

Of course some idiot on the other team had to boast about it. What is wrong with this community?

ghamorra

Drew, you should take a look at the thread I put together last week. It talks about calming yourself down and refocusing yourself. I far too often get cocky at the start of a match. The previous game I do really well and then I get the idea cemented in my head that I can just continue to steamroll the opponent. This happened yesterday in fact. We had a clan of some really bad players (like .200-.500 K/D players) in a KC lobby. The first match I would have easily gotten a KEM had we not ended the game so incredibly fast. The second match I looked to not let myself be out done by my teams fast play and tried so hard to get as many kills as I possibly could. Even the worst players are lethal when you're running around without thinking. I died 4 times off the start and by the matches end I was the only player with more than 10 deaths.

It's a prime example of how easily we can defeat ourselves. The third match they still stuck around and I checked myself and focused. I didn't get a KEM but I got 50 kills and finished we only a handful of deaths.

nicedrewishfela

Trust me, I master that far more now than I used to. I used to really get impacted by a bad match, which would start a domino effect on following matches. I also used to get down on myself when having a bad streak in a match, causing my performance to suffer further.

Maybe it is just age or experience, but I have really been so much more consistent in the past few titles. I stay even keel and play my game, regardless of the situation. I adjust and adapt... and at times just realize I have to accept defeat. Can't go my way every time, especially playing lone wolf.

I think in CoD, as perhaps true in any competitive scenario, if you finish on TOP, you make yourself a target. Your teammates rely on you for kills and score, and the enemy sets their sights on shutting you down. 

ghamorra

Izjar11 wrote:

how about people who call themselves "beasts"? Are they better than Gods?

I consider myself a beast. The difference is that a "God" is a "God" all the time whether they're trying to be or not. A "Beast" actually has to turn on his "Beast-ness" and go into a mode.

TRYTOBEATMENOW_

I know what you guys mean I get into some lobbies and there are always a guy or clan talking the **** about how no one can beat them. I feel I'm the average player even thought I have a kd of 1.8, the only time I feel the need to win is when the smacktalk starts and they are on the other team. I think I would be considered a "beast" as well since in order to beat them I have to some what turn it up a notch.

Im_Old_School

I had a refreshing event last night on the last night of Clan Wars.  Was playing KC and fell into a lobby against a 5 man party smacking their gums at us a little in the pre game lobby.  I pretty much knew what was going to happen so I loaded up my M27/Thermal/AP and figured maybe I could just mess with them a little at least.  They put a hurtin' on us pretty quick and started calling in Hinds.  I used my M27 and shot the first one down shortly after it arrived and within a minute here came another one.  Shot it down.   By now I had a MAAWS.  A minute or two later here comes a Helo Pilot.  Made a Solar Flare out of it almost before it made it to the map.  Oddly enough I didn't hear any rage.  After the match I could hear the guy that had called all this in telling his teammates, "Look the same guy took out 2 Hinds and a Helo Pilot in less than 2 minutes...WHAT did he shoot them down with?"  One of his teammates said, "We don't know why don't you ask HIM...he's still here"  I turned on my mic and told the guy what I had done and both him and a couple of guys on his team, said, "That was great shooting on those Helicopters"  I was stunned.  Next game I shot down 3 Hinds and another Helo Pilot.  Again after the game they came on and said, "Good shooting again on that Air Support.  Man you got that sh*t on lock"  I thanked them for the compliment and they left the lobby.  I sat there for a minute wondering if I had actually heard what I had heard.  I thought that was world class of those guys.  Kinda made my 15-23 game not seem so bad (even though I did have 19 tags)

Helped to restore a little of my faith in the COD Community Humanity!

Alky6

I'd like to ask a dumb question.... the the heck is a Kem Strike?  I don't know if I've ever seen one unless it's that yellow fog I've been in a couple of times, it seemed to have no effect on me so I don't know what it was.