47 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 1:43 PM by FavoriteApe3680 RSS

Ghosts MP thoughts anyone?

MuLzA

So I've been playing Ghosts up to around level 31 and I've decided to give my two cents in regards to multiplayer.

Coming from the likes of COD 4, MW, WaW and the first Blops (was all COD'd out at that point) with a pretty consistent KDR of 5:1, I have to say Ghosts completely baffles me.  No longer do I feel confident in twitch engagements, and the old style of running and gunning gets me horrific scores pretty consistently.  In fact in most games now I've taken to simply camping in one spot, getting a few cheap kills, then venturing out to try my luck in a "fair" fight, usually to be picked off from some window far above, or worse, from somebody spawning in behind me.

I'm assuming the almost limitless angles that you now have to cover when running around were designed to give the player a bit more of a challenge or perhaps open up single level combat instead of simple corridor aiming, however in most of the games I've played, it just encourages camping (don't even get me started with players rocking thermal scopes prone in a bush).

Any thoughts of heading into the middle of the map have without fail, resulted in a quick death from an unseen attacker.  I just feel like the developers have tried to put so much into the maps, what with all the environmental clutter and the myriad of windows, ramps and hidey holes, that for me at least, it's no longer fun.

I'm slowly getting better as I learn the maps and their choke points, but the joy of chaining kills on the fly and not posted up in some building proning like a girl are few and far between.  Now every map just feels like a brutal slog filled with guaranteed frustrations.

Just my little rant after finishing a game with 5 kills and 12 deaths, something I'm still getting used to.  Was just wondering how others felt?  Maybe I'm just being a sore loser, but I feel as though the gameplay is completely different to what I was used to with COD.

• Re: Ghosts MP thoughts anyone?
          yogosans

I don't mean to brag but I go literally positive almost every game. Im just so used to CoD that I can easily adapt. Always watch your back and use a good set up like the ak 12 with silencer and grip.

I don't have it for xbox one but if I did Id pick it up in a heart beat!360 users don't have ground war

Rexens_View

No, it is how you describe it.

Ghosts has changed from the original basic concepts and alot of people are having trouble adjusting.

I am in the same boat where it was new and exciting for a while but now the fun has gone.

It has become a competitive campfest which IMO takes all the fun out of the game.

xoMrSLAVEox

Yeah man i have never seen so much camping in any cod before

gotsomestars

There is no more "camping" in ghosts than any other fps. What there IS more of is people crying about campers.  If someone is laying prone anywhere, and they kill you more than once from that spot, the problem is you.

I have no trouble at all moving around the map. Then again, I use my eyes, ears, and brain. I don't (and never have) just run blindly hoping that whoever I might run into is a bad shot. I watch my teammates, and predict where the enemy will be, and make a plan to put myself in a good position when they get there. That is not camping, that is being better than my opposition.

One thing that IW has learned from this game is "the masses" won't think or adapt, they'll just stomp their feet and quit. Which says more about the community than the developers.

Rexens_View

Well the customer is always right.

If the masses want the same style then let them have it.

I can't see how you can honestly think there were more campers in bo2 than there are in ghosts.

FaclonPower98

I can't see how you honestly think there were less campers in BO2 and more in Ghosts. Oh wait..because you only know every single individual players play-style.

There were campers in both games, just leave it at that.

Rexens_View

You only need the power of observation to see that Ghosts has significantly more campers than BO2 so I assume your trolling.

There are campers in both games - there are campers in all games - that is beside the point.

We are talking about camping swamping Ghosts as the preferred playstyle, which has contributed greatly to it's lack of players now.

RayOldGuy

Frankly and honestly, the customer is not always right.

Rexens_View

Yes your right - the customer isn't LITERALLY always right but if the majority want then it's what the majority will get from a stakeholders perspective.

Otherwise there will be no profitability.

It's a catch 22 scenario where as if you listen to the people who want change and give it to them - they kick and scream that it's different.

However if you keep it the same because you know it's what the majority of people like (even if they don't realise it) then these same people will scream and throw tantrums that they aren't being innovative.

xoMrSLAVEox

For example: I played hc domination on prison break and there was a guy sitting close to A on a fence next to a tree all game long with marksman rifle with thermal and he had 0 captures in the end but good k/d 38-4, i call it camping. And corner campers appears in many games too, they only move in the game when they move from dark corner to other one.

No question there is more camping in ghosts.

OUHATEME

Walking  into the game and only going to level 31 yes you are probably going to be on the low end of it. Too many complain that every new cod should be like the last one. I for one if I got the same game every time would feel that I wasted my money. Many don't like having to adjust and many welcome it , this particular game though with the release on so many consoles at the same time, well something had to give so population issues happen.. Also note if you are a solo player and you tried playing this past weekend you came across many that were involved in clan wars , which some solo players don't care for.

JohhnyStud69

Not sure if you have or not but deselect your secondary weapon you get more perks

makes it a bit easier all round

I find the silence perk pretty invaluable in ghosts

Good luck - it does get easier but yes it is very frustrating too

RayOldGuy

Level 31 means that you have less than 5 hours of game play. Is this the same COD as the old ones? NO! THANK GOD! You have to learn, adjust, and adapt. I took a two week break, and started 10 hours of game play ago. I am at prestige 1 level 20 something, and I am having a ball. I have seem a few corner campers. You do in EVERY game. But I have seen some well organized clans playing very smartly. I'll name names on this one - ZEAL and XEAL -. Before my break they were good, but so damn arrogant it was galling.  I've seem them in this incarnation. They are just as good, but the BS trash talk is mostly gone. Yeah, they kill me a lot, but cleaning them out of a stronghold, or even just killing a few of them is something to be proud of.

In general, I have found the game more enjoyable after my break.

PS- I have had no problems finding games since my return. Maybe it has something to do with starting out with a new account? Maybe those who are uber players are having problems with matchmaking not able to find their equals?

Rexens_View

The games not the issue it's more the players. 

bendotcom

Completely agree, although I do think the players have led to problems in the game development.

I don't mind ghosts, far from my favourite but not as bad as a lot of people claim it is.

I think one of the big problems with CoD is that it has been around a long time and with this comes a very large skill gap between players, ghosts is the first CoD for many, it is the second/third CoD for some and for a few it is the 10th CoD (personally it is my 9th). This means that the game becomes very hard to balance in a way that all players can enjoy themselves. Spawns for example: BO2 had quite fixed spawns, this is good because spawning knowledge becomes part of tactical game play, for example: learning to be in a certain place to make the enemy spawn in an advantageous location for your team, it gave the game strategy and you didn't have to play knowing that someone can spawn behind you at any point. Why did it change in ghosts? Because many of the long time players knew how to play the game which usually led to a spawn trap which is a painful thing for new players to deal with. Personally I liked the old spawns as it meant that I could play the game more strategicly than I can ghosts and it gave players the incentive not to allow themselves to get pushed back into their spawn.

Another thing I have found in ghosts is that weapons tend to kill in 1-3 bullets less than in other CoD's, this means that people don't need to be as accurate to get the kill and as experienced players tend to have much better reaction times and accuracy meant that they could hit 3-4 (close range) bullets much faster and more efficiently than a new player can, by cutting down the amount of bullets it takes to kill effectively means that the player needs 1/3-1/2 less time to be aimed on the enemy player to kill them which has the effect of levelling out the skill gap between players, this also helps to create the continuous insta-deaths that this game has.

Then there is YouTube, this has had a massive effect on the player base, it has convinced many people that they need to have a good k/d, that a particular class set up will make them a great player, people feel the need to compete against YouTubers and use their player skill as a bench mark to compare their own ability, unfortunately most people don't realise that it probably took the YouTuber 10 games to get that impressive gameplay, it took them a month of hard playing to hit those 15 clips that go into their montage. I just find that YouTube has made much of the community very competitive, selfish and disrespectful of each other, nobody can bring themselves to say GG to the winning team, nobody can respect a good player when they come across one, they have to be bitter about it. As an above average player, In every game I play there is always at least one person running around the map trying to hunt me down constantly trying to prove something to me/themselves at the end of it I may have killed them 5-6 times in a game where as they may have killed me 1-2.

rrclimber

I am max prestige and I have way too many hours into this game. Truthfully I think it is the worst COD I have played and I have played them all. There are a few things going on and this has been a trend with the last few COD's.

1. Skill gap - In order to make the game playable for "less skilled" players they have started making attachments for guns that make the game easy for unskilled players to get kills. This coupled with ridiculous kill streaks that insta kill you like dogs and ied's make the game frustrating to play.

2. Spawns - Worst of any COD. Spawning into death is very frustrating.

3. Maps - The spawns are bad because the maps are not great for playing COD. They look great, but they don't play great. The open map concept sounds great on paper but it doesn't really play well. You die so quickly in this game, coupled with getting shot from every direction and that leads to camping.

4. Realism - This one is two parts

a. It is by no means a realistic shooter but they are moving way too far in the other direction and making the game silly with foolish maps full of gimmicks to hide the bad design.

b. more and more they seem to be pandering to children with the game. The game is supposed to have an "M" rating but starting with Blops2 they seem to be creating a game for kids. Paintball maps, skate parks, etc.

I can go on but I am trying to avoid a wall of text. Next time you play Ghosts count how many times you die in a traditional gun fight (I see you, you see me, guy with most skill wins) vs. how many times you get shot in the back or in the side or are insta killed by something. 

I can tell you that when I am not on with friends I have gone back to playing COD 4 if I am playing by myself. Still a great game.

PUR4IDO

rrclimber wrote:

I am max prestige and I have way too many hours into this game. Truthfully I think it is the worst COD I have played and I have played them all. There are a few things going on and this has been a trend with the last few COD's.

1. Skill gap - In order to make the game playable for "less skilled" players they have started making attachments for guns that make the game easy for unskilled players to get kills. This coupled with ridiculous kill streaks that insta kill you like dogs and ied's make the game frustrating to play.

2. Spawns - Worst of any COD. Spawning into death is very frustrating.

3. Maps - The spawns are bad because the maps are not great for playing COD. They look great, but they don't play great. The open map concept sounds great on paper but it doesn't really play well. You die so quickly in this game, coupled with getting shot from every direction and that leads to camping.

4. Realism - This one is two parts

a. It is by no means a realistic shooter but they are moving way too far in the other direction and making the game silly with foolish maps full of gimmicks to hide the bad design.

b. more and more they seem to be pandering to children with the game. The game is supposed to have an "M" rating but starting with Blops2 they seem to be creating a game for kids. Paintball maps, skate parks, etc.

I can go on but I am trying to avoid a wall of text. Next time you play Ghosts count how many times you die in a traditional gun fight (I see you, you see me, guy with most skill wins) vs. how many times you get shot in the back or in the side or are insta killed by something.

I can tell you that when I am not on with friends I have gone back to playing COD 4 if I am playing by myself. Still a great game.

1. I Agree.. Skill has been greatly reduced in this installment. Before somebody starts to cry, what I mean by that is..A lesser player has a greater chance of killing a better player than before. The lesser player will still go negative or even but he was able to kill a better who could had been on a nice streak, etc. I have been panic knifed on two different occasions while going for the KEM.

2. Spawns are terrible, coupled w the BS payback system that spawns the enemy that you killed close to you.

3. Maps are riddled w camp spots.. Honestly, I prefer the original maps that shipped w the game than the DLC maps. DLC maps are small, but seem chaotic and not a good chaotic.

4. Space Cat Camo...

This game is an enigma. This game has A LOT of thing that are good, but the few things that it has bad make it a real frustrating experience. Things that were broken in older version, were reintroduced. Things that make no sense were added. Goes on.

For the most part, especially when I'm in a lobby w good players. When I'm in a lobby of bad players, it becomes a very frustrating experience.

Neurotic3xits

Iv'e gotta agree with you on the whole childish maps thing as well. Even the last Invasion DLC with Mutiny and Pharaoh with pirate ships and whatnot. It's getting a little bit lame. 

gramthenOOb

MuLzA wrote:

with a pretty consistent KDR of 5:1

Lower your standards a little maybe...

Neurotic3xits

I don't mind Ghosts at all, but it sure isn't anywhere near my favorite COD games. My biggest problems with the game are:

1. The ridiculous spawning.

2. The killstreaks kind of fall flat (in my opinion).

3. The weapons aren't exactly that great (once again, in my opinion).

I know what you mean about the camping though. The whole LMG + Thermal set-up is getting really old, but i have simply gotten used to the fact that in any COD game you play, there will be campers. Advanced Warfare is going to have campers. The next Treyarch game is going to have campers. As much as i hate to admit it, camping really is a strategy whether we like it or not. It really does baffle me when i see people complaining about it. ANY COD game you pick up WILL have campers, plain and simple.

Rexens_View

I agree with all three of those points.

Half the fun of COD is variety of weapons and killstreaks, which is why I find Ghosts pretty flat in that respect.

Yeah campers are in every game but the problem with campers isn't that it's not a legit playstyle - it is - but like anything too much of it ruins the experience.

Too many campers (or passive play) slows the game down to a drudge which isn't enjoyed by alot of COD players.

Neurotic3xits

Yeah, the only killstreak on the game that i though was somewhat cool was the Juggernaut Maniac, but aside from that i couldn't care less about any of them. I feel like Ghosts kind of took a step backwards from BO2 in terms of camping. BO2 at least tried to reduce the camping problem by adding the whole Scorestreak system, plus making the Ghost perk work only if you move around. All the new perks, especially the stealth section, just feed the campers. I truly do wish that the campers would just go away, but iv'e got a feeling that it's never going to happen. I just wish that people could realize that before even picking up the game.

Poppa_P_I_M_P

COD Ghost is a challenge to play at times, each game type has its player style that is effective.  it can be frustrating that certain players seem to dominate a game because they have masterful hand coordination with the controls.  its not just the campers that are the problem, it is the drop shooters, jump shooters and may I mention the quick scopers that ruin the game play for average level gamer.  It would be nice if there wasn't so many cross shot opportunities on each map, Free fall has to be the worst of all, add in the tremor effect and your dead at every corner.

Neurotic3xits

Couldn't agree more about the drop-shooters. I would rather get killed by a guy camping in the corner than get killed because someone went prone while shooting at me. Cheap tactic as far as i'm concerned, though people could argue it as "strategy".

RayOldGuy

Sorry, that is just dumb. Every time some one shot at me in real life I made it a point to make myself as small of a target as possible. If the game developers did not want this to be used why did they provide a controller setup to enable it? Now, Halo jumping is another tactic, but one I find to be plain stupid on a couple of levels. First, no one jumps 5 feet into the air, and second, you would never see this on a battlefield.

Neurotic3xits

I don't feel it's dumb whatsoever, i could say the same thing back to you about camping. If game developers didn't want people to camp, then why would they have placed perfect little camping corners within maps, with perks to enhance it even more? That is MUCH more realistic then dropping to prone when you've already been riddled with bullets. I don't like either, but like i said, i would much rather get killed by someone who has had the wherewithal to kill me somewhat strategically over someone who happened to hold down the B button at the right time. Iv'e always despised being killed via drop-shot since the MW2 days, and i always will.

xoMrSLAVEox

I use drop shot often on close range combats and its very effective

Kill2StayCranked

I go positive nearly everything game now.  My KD is 1.41 and going up (if I made a new account it would be a 2.0+).

Here are just a few tips that I found that helped.

1. Get a favorite game (mine is SnR)

2. Get a favorite class and learn how to use it correctly

3. Learn the spawns (this is by far the most important [reason why I play SnR is people don't really respond unless picked up])

4. find people to play with (i always play better with people I know)

codchamp

I stopped reading a 5.00 K/D. I dont like Ghosts. But you have nothing relevant to say when that is in your first paragraph

Players do what is effective for them. They simply use what the devs provide. That's why camping is worse in ghosts. The devs have provided the players a greater insentive to camp in this game. If the game was made so camping was less effective then players would not camp as much. I don't blame the players for using what the game gives them. The customer is always right because they spend the money, not the other way around. The devs shape everything about the game and if their worth anything they know how it will be played before they release it.

huntingnoluck

I think that a huge difference between this cod and others is the stupid clan wars. If there are clan wars on don't bother playing, clans specialize in spawn trapping. It has really ruined the game for me I only get a few hours every once in awhile to play and to have to deal with that makes it rough. I still play and I still like the game, but clans should have been segregated, but then again that would have split an already extremely divided player base (consoles, game modes, etc) making matchmaking harder and increasing lag. 

JohhnyStud69

I am prestiged to the hilt (10) and have been playing this game since day 1 so consider myself a relatively experienced player who is familiar with all the Maps. Some of the maps are not conducive to life longevity at all and in my opinion are not the best designed maps in the world (see previous posts).  I mostly play Free For All and occasionally Team Death match and Kill Confirmed.  I even win some games too from time to time!  I could not agree more with the author of this post as it certainly seems to have turned a lot of good players into campers.  I know these games always have campers and that's OK but good players, and you know who you are, now just sit in corners too scared to pop out as you just know someone is going to kill you as soon as you move!

My main problem and issue with this game is the ease of kills from those constantly wielding sniper rifles. I DON'T AND NEVER WOULD USE SNIPER RIFLES AS I THINK IT IS SO EASY (NO SKILL) IT JUST KILLS ANY ENJOYMENT TO ANY GAME OTHER THAN THOSE SNIPING.

12 bullets into a sniper at then that same someone releases one bullet and bang one bullet one kill and dead!  They sorted out IED's and made them less effective after complaints so I reckon they need to make sniping a TAD more difficult too and less easier dying from one sniper bullet.  IF a sniper hits you in the leg are you going to die for instance? No is the answer.  Head shots fair enough but a shoulder wound?  Really?

By doing something as simple of sorting this issue then maybe the MP experience in Ghosts may become more enjoyable for all and certainly less frustrating.  Oh yeah I nearly forgot, the respawns are terrible in Ghosts.  You can start a game and with in ten seconds be minus 5 kills without even firing one bullet!

Congrats on the post - a subject that hopefully the mods will follow up on........ 

Yours sincerely from someone who thinks MW3 was wonderful and wishing he still has his 360 (there's an Idea MW3 on Xbox One?) 

rrclimber

I have to disagree with you on this one. Using a sniper rifle is way more difficult than using any other gun in the game. I have a way higher K/D with regular guns. I snipe because it is a challenge. Try this... Pick any sniper rifle you want and play that gun until you get it gold. Then come back on here and tell us how easy it is. You show me proof of a higher K/D with a sniper rifle and I will listen to what you have to say. I understand if you want to say that you don't like getting sniped. It can be irritating and shocking when you drop dead from one shot. I get that, but saying it is easy is another story entirely.

FaclonPower98

Ghosts>> COD 4.

Crinkzkull08

I think Ghosts MP is okay. But not as great as Black Ops 2... But that's just me. Besides, we can't really blame the game. Campers, no matter what online FPS game you play, they'll always be there... CoD or not... It's their strategy, sure, it's a really irritating, teeth wrenching strategy and you get pissed at them, but that's their style... 

Ghosts is one of the worst camper infected CODs to date. Take the map Favela for instance. It has been in MW2 and now Ghosts. MW2 it played great, was enjoyable, people ran around etc etc. Now with it in Ghosts it is terrible. People don't move. I have played it a number of times, and it barely ever reaches the score limit, but always reaches the time limit.

People just don't seem to realise that there are 2 analog sticks anymore...they find a corner, throw out there double IEDs and equip there thermal sights on there LMGs and stay there for the match. I feel i have to  run Sit-Rep now on almost every class now so i can see where these little b1tches like to sit. The only piece of equipment i wish was in the game was EMP so i could throw it to disable all these pieces of equipment so i either didn't have to shoot it, or go close to set it off!

It is half the fault of the developers for making such stupid things in the game, and then the other half is the community. Can you imagine what Ghosts would be like if there were no IEDs and you couldn't equip a thermal/tracker sight on almost any gun.

The game concept is good. Other than that it is hands down the worst technically put together multiplayer game currently available.