25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2014 1:15 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

How do you judge your performance?

nicedrewishfela

Since I have a long commute these days, I am constantly looking for things to entertain me on the long drive to and from work. New music, good radio, and, lately, Podcasts. Big fan of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Jay Mohr's Mohr Stories, and The Nerdist Podcast (open to suggestions if anyone has any).

Anyways, Nerdist had a great interview with the Sklar Brothers on recently in which they were discussing Comedy and Comedy Performances that I thought applied to the CoD universe as well. They were talking about how they judged their shows, as in what constituted a good show versus what constituted a bad show. Ultimately, the consensus was they could best judge their performance not by the reaction of the crowd or the amount they were paid, but the Process. The way the show unfolded, how bits worked, how written jokes evolve into ad-libbed conversations and so on.

So my question to this community is: How do you judge YOUR performance in game?

For many.. it is simple. Those dreaded stats. Is it that simple for you? Does a high K/D or a decent number of Caps, Plants, Defuses or whatever constitute a good game for you?

For others, like myself, it can be much more complex. For me, a guy who usually plays HC TDM, I don't judge myself on my K/D alone. For me, there are a lot of factors that I consider when judging my own performance:

1) Did my team win? This is my highest criteria. If I had a high K/D and my team lost, it really doesn't matter to me. I often look back to see if perhaps I was too selfish or didn't contribute enough to put us over the top. Lately, playing so much Lone Wolf, I've  had to allow myself to let it go and realize that sometimes I did play well and that my teammates under-performed. That being said, however...  I can't consider a game a success if I lose.

2) Did I play well? Vague, sorry, but so true and many of you may know what I am talking about. Basically, this is all about my basics and the choices I have made in-game. I have had strong scoring games in which I wasn't happy with my performance. My aim was off, I made bad decisions, and quite frankly felt like I just got lucky most of the match, or perhaps the opponent was just not all that good. On the other hand, I've had games where I scored lower or even went negative in which I came away feeling pretty good about how I played. A lot of times I will start a game badly, but figure it out and put together a strong finish. It might not look pretty on the scoreboard, but I can hold my head high knowing that I overcame adversity. How was my aim? Did I communicate well with my team? Did I pick good routes? Did I read situations correctly? All of this comes into play for me.

3) Did I have FUN? I will never be an MLG Pro. I will never have  YouTube channel and make those YouTube Monehz. My Clan is just a recently absentee group of friends who have won a Clan War, sure, but really aren't world-beaters. I rarely get to play these days, so when I do, I just want to have fun. So when I play... I try different setups. I try different playstyles. It might hurt my stats, but where will those numbers get me in life, ultimately? I've had crazy high scoring games that weren't fun.. not always fun to beat up on hapless enemies. Have had bad games that were fun anyways due to the conversation in the room or just the pace of the game. Had way too many play sessions lately where I found myself just not enjoying my play time. If I didn't have fun... it doesn't matter if I went 35-1 or 1-35.

So how do you judge your performance? Is there anything SledgeHammer can put into this game or should put into this game that would help you in this process?

• Re: How do you judge your performance?
          Foxhound-Pro

For me it's Win% + Accuracy.

As long as I'm winning and I'm not being sloppy with my shot, then I'm fine and doing "well." - I normally play objective modes, so winning means capping flags, planting/defusing, or picking up tags.

Izjar11

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Since I have a long commute these days, I am constantly looking for things to entertain me on the long drive to and from work. New music, good radio, and, lately, Podcasts. Big fan of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Jay Mohr's Mohr Stories, and The Nerdist Podcast (open to suggestions if anyone has any).

Anyways, Nerdist had a great interview with the Sklar Brothers on recently in which they were discussing Comedy and Comedy Performances that I thought applied to the CoD universe as well. They were talking about how they judged their shows, as in what constituted a good show versus what constituted a bad show. Ultimately, the consensus was they could best judge their performance not by the reaction of the crowd or the amount they were paid, but the Process. The way the show unfolded, how bits worked, how written jokes evolve into ad-libbed conversations and so on.

So my question to this community is: How do you judge YOUR performance in game?

For many.. it is simple. Those dreaded stats. Is it that simple for you? Does a high K/D or a decent number of Caps, Plants, Defuses or whatever constitute a good game for you?

For others, like myself, it can be much more complex. For me, a guy who usually plays HC TDM, I don't judge myself on my K/D alone. For me, there are a lot of factors that I consider when judging my own performance:

1) Did my team win? This is my highest criteria. If I had a high K/D and my team lost, it really doesn't matter to me. I often look back to see if perhaps I was too selfish or didn't contribute enough to put us over the top. Lately, playing so much Lone Wolf, I've  had to allow myself to let it go and realize that sometimes I did play well and that my teammates under-performed. That being said, however...  I can't consider a game a success if I lose.

2) Did I play well? Vague, sorry, but so true and many of you may know what I am talking about. Basically, this is all about my basics and the choices I have made in-game. I have had strong scoring games in which I wasn't happy with my performance. My aim was off, I made bad decisions, and quite frankly felt like I just got lucky most of the match, or perhaps the opponent was just not all that good. On the other hand, I've had games where I scored lower or even went negative in which I came away feeling pretty good about how I played. A lot of times I will start a game badly, but figure it out and put together a strong finish. It might not look pretty on the scoreboard, but I can hold my head high knowing that I overcame adversity. How was my aim? Did I communicate well with my team? Did I pick good routes? Did I read situations correctly? All of this comes into play for me.

3) Did I have FUN? I will never be an MLG Pro. I will never have  YouTube channel and make those YouTube Monehz. My Clan is just a recently absentee group of friends who have won a Clan War, sure, but really aren't world-beaters. I rarely get to play these days, so when I do, I just want to have fun. So when I play... I try different setups. I try different playstyles. It might hurt my stats, but where will those numbers get me in life, ultimately? I've had crazy high scoring games that weren't fun.. not always fun to beat up on hapless enemies. Have had bad games that were fun anyways due to the conversation in the room or just the pace of the game. Had way too many play sessions lately where I found myself just not enjoying my play time. If I didn't have fun... it doesn't matter if I went 35-1 or 1-35.

So how do you judge your performance? Is there anything SledgeHammer can put into this game or should put into this game that would help you in this process?

good post

I really don't try to judge myself, as Fox states winning (plus having fun) is what matters to me.

I do find enjoyment though in directly seeking the enemy out, meaning going head on with them, and exchanging fire < these moments are truly fun to me. Especially if there is more than one.

iHattoriHanzo0

I judge my performance by the comments in lobby chat after the game.  Always feel better about my play when playing an inferior team as well.

Actually......I usually feel good about my play as long as I'm not hurting my team. As a solo player, I'm usually near or on the top. But will admit since I haven't been playing as much as usual, Its been a bit of a struggle for consistent game play.

nicedrewishfela

It's something I struggle with in my day to day that I sometimes allow to spill over to my CoD gaming.

I am my own toughest critic, and sometimes things just never seem good enough.

To some degree that is a good quality to have, as I feel like I am constantly striving to grow, learn, and improve.. but sometimes it keeps me from enjoying myself or recognizing when I have done something good.

Been really trying to be easier on myself in game, and it lets me just enjoy it more.

DMCI

That's a very good question!

I'd say I judge my performance on my accuracy,  and if I had fun or not.. but some games I join and my accuracy is terrible, like literally takes me a whole round if bullets just to get a hit marker on someone lol, but other times I may dominate a game, maybe 25 -3 etc lol.. very inconsistent   so if my aim is really bad that is usually how I judge my performance wether its good/bad.

Sometimes I cant really judge it with the fact my team won/lost as I may end up playinga with a poor team or a team of players a lot better than me!

Having said all that, 95% of the time I have fun so I cant complain

nicedrewishfela

It's funny, but accuracy has never been a stat that I have looked at in CoD games.

But yet, at the same time, I am the same way in that I try to be as accurate as possible in game. That being said, however, Bullets are free in-game, and I will not hesitate to spray if that is what is needed.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Foxhound-Pro

nicedrewishfela wrote:

It's funny, but accuracy has never been a stat that I have looked at in CoD games.

But yet, at the same time, I am the same way in that I try to be as accurate as possible in game. That being said, however, Bullets are free in-game, and I will not hesitate to spray if that is what is needed.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Jumping in on this one as I too stated that accuracy plays a large role in how I judge myself.

I'll certainly spray and wall-bang when I have to, but I pride myself in knowing that it takes [X] bullets with [Y] weapon to eliminate and that I used less than or equal to the maximum amount.

My current accuracy sits at 27.45%. My all time high was 31%.

nicedrewishfela

Mine has never been that high, but I have really focused over the past few titles in improving the quality of my shots rather than quantity. A lot of it, for me has to do with improving my routes and map knowledge.

To be honest... I have no idea what my accuracy in Ghosts is lol

I do find, however, that if I think about my accuracy I tend to gimp my own game by picking and choosing my shots rather than just going for it.

Im_Old_School

Did I go positive (whatever number that may be) and did I have some fun?  If I can answer yes to that then 99% of the time I can view my performance as "I did good"  If my team wins...bonus.  If not at least I can feel contributing.  It's like the other night when I went 15-23 and 12-9 on KC with randoms against a 5 party Clan.  Although we lost both games and I only went positive in one of them, over the course of two games I shot down 5 enemy hinds and 2 Helo Pilots and worked thru the "Flyswatter" Operation twice and finished the "Two Missiles-One Target" Operation  (18000XP and 6 squad points)!  The guys on the other team even complimented me on my Helicopter shooting performance after both games.  So after all that,  in my mind I viewed my performance as "really" good!  

nuttin2say

I think "Did I play well" is my most critical concern IN-GAME. During gaming sessions, I'm not really worried about stats at all. When and if possible, outside of a gaming session, I will examine the stats. Before I start my next session, I will make adjustments I think will help improve those stats. Then I dive right in and see what happens. If you have to worry about whether or not your next move improves your stats, then you're not using statistics in the right way to begin with. Besides all of that, and far more importantly, stats are meaningless if you just make stupid errors. No load out will ever protect you from having a moment of stupidity.

The reason I always want to focus on "playing well" is because if I play at my best, then the team should win. Unfortunately, quite often, my absolute best is not nearly enough to overcome the way the rest of the team plays. I had a match in BO2 once where I went like 35-4. I didn't have many TDM matches in BO2 where I busted 30 kills. Anyway, the opposing team was a party and they were pretty good but not special. Anyway, they slaughtered my team. I think combined my teammates scored 15 kills. Obviously my teammates died a combined 71 times.

But it was fun nonetheless. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the kill mics.

My point is that although I was greatly disappointed that my teammates were most definitely not playing to their best abilities, I did and, even though we lost, I still felt I gave a good show. Yes, winning is the goal ... but when you run mostly solo, the best you can do is control your own actions. Maybe that results in a win, maybe it doesn't.

mkweed5

Great post.

I never have cared about stats as you said were is it going to get me.So i judge performance on  did i have fun an did i help my team win.

ghamorra

Like Foxhound-Pro, I too use to really push for high accuracy until the stat vanished from CoD. I was never happy unless my sniping was at least 80% or my semi-auto work was 50%. ARs had to be between 20-30% and SMGs, well I didn't use them much.

However, recent titles haven't really done much buy annoy me when it come to lag. The fact that I could have 30% accuracy and still die by a less weapon always annoyed me and when sniping I could have 100% accuracy but net only a handful of kills.

So I stopped worrying about accuracy and going for a more traditional stat that most frown upon, K/D. I completely agree that one's K/D is arbitrary. It's nothing more than a facade that people throw up hoping others tremble at the awesome power of their 2.0. But I use it differently or at least I know that my K/D is a key factor to my performance.

I play the objective, I don't look to hide unless I'm one off a big streak and rather than waste the opportunity I spare a little time insuring I get it. At the end of the day I contribute to the win just as much as the guy with the loaded Capture column. So that being said a K/D to me is how well I executed. How well I defended my objective. If we won and I had a high K/D I know it was because I did well. If we lost and I had a high K/D I know that I did everything I could.

Some might see this as selfish but they'll just have to trust that I am a very objective oriented player. 

maccabi

if i can hear laughter from the others in the party, dont give a hoot about stats, like to win but online gaming for me is playing a buncha good mates and 'avin a laff

easy FUN where FUN=play objectives+support team+accuracy+KD

i play pubs so w/l is a lucky dpi and so not a measure for moi.

Ovrlord

I judge my performance based on how much I contributed to the end result of the match. If my team wins, and I made excellent contributions such as getting a decent amount of kills, keeping deaths to a minimum, capturing and defending objectives, etc. I like to support my team by not being a liability to everyone else. Even if my team ends up losing, I will still believe I've done well if none of my actions were responsible for the loss. I play solo most of the time, so I don't believe in not doing well even in a loss since I can't do everything by myself. If I contributed to a loss such as getting too many deaths and not enough kills in a TDM match or not capping/defending any objectives, that's when I believe I played poorly.

nicedrewishfela

I think that is what I really loved about BO2's scoring system. In earlier CoD games, I was never a major, big-time kill guy (I had my moments, of course), but I was a strong team player. I'd flank and help fortify a position, grab objectives, or whatever it took to to try to help my team win.

The frustrating thing was that those games didn't recognize that kind of player. High K/D players were celebrated while all around players got ignored, no reward for helping their team. BO2, on the other hand rewarded players for more than just kills.

I loved that system, because while I really improved during that game and often finished as one of the top Kill guys in the lobby, my score reflected my all around play and really gave me a true sense of what I accomplished in that match.

huntingnoluck

I have 3 criteria for judging my performance. The first 2 you mentioned in the original post, that is did I have fun and did I win. The third kind of is sort of like did I play well, but more did I feel I played 'fun'. Meaning how did that game feel overall. Did I stand a chance? Was it competitive? Did I make a difference in game? Did I learn new things to do or not do? I don't mind taking a butt kicking if I took something away from it. These are the things I consider when I think 'how did I do in that game'.

phxs72

For me, if I'm playing in a party first and foremost I want to win.  We all know that winning is a team thing but even if I've done everything right I feel let down if I'm not bringing home the win.  For solo play, I'm less concerned about the win even though I still go for it.  I'm more concerned about my shot accuracy and the decisions that I made along the way.  For example, did I pop the corners correctly, is my gun position on target or is it drifting off center as I round those corners or move around the map in general, regardless of my kd was I the guy that the other team really wished wasn't in the lobby (death mics can be inspirational), and I suppose overall did my performance at least give my team the chance to win?  It's funny, we can all call in the biggest streaks in the game but it's often the games where I didn't get a single streak where I feel like I put on the best performance.  In those matches everything that happened I had to do without the benefit of a Helo Pilot or anything else.  Most of the time those matches are also the ones where the competition is fierce and that makes it that much more rewarding when you know that you took the very best that they had to offer and still shined.