10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 3:00 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Combat training vs Squads

slyd0g55

Both do teach you something worth while if you haven't played CoD before,but

What does it teach you? Perks ,Killstreaks , Gun options.....

Combat training - was you & maybe 1-5 team mates , with the same with the computer as the enemy, this is a brief run down of MP , I thought this was an awesome game mode first introduced in Black Ops.

Squads - was a team that you made vs the computer or against a actual player & his squad , the same principle applies with a basic run down before you enter MP .

But what do you think is more constructive for someone new to the game & makes you better at the game?

• Re: Combat training vs Squads
          FalconR6

Squad mode for sure.

A great initiative. Has many added benefits over combat training.

Gives a great introduction to class setups.

Makes you think about how best to set up a squad.

Although capped, you can earn multiplayer XP.

It gives you a true sense of competitiveness without actually having to face humans.

Provides satisfaction of improving your squad, leaderboard position, etc.

Certain modes allow you to play with friends.

Also have to give props to the improved AI. They are not perfect (human like), but your opponents actually play the objectives and give a descent gun fight ; if you take it easy you will fail due to the AI's accuracy.

In all, I think Squad mode is a great addition. It is not just for noobs either. I'll go into squad matches for a few warm up games. There is a bit of a sense of team play too. A nice alternative for those who do not wish to partake in clans.

slyd0g55

Yea but don't you think it promotes a certain style? " camping"  I've played it once , vs another human & his squad , He got smacked, I didn't feel glory but a sense of a mis-match contest,  but I noticed his AI members were ,How can I put this,.... Slow , My AI soldiers where on attack as I watched some around the half time mark,that's when I knew this was pitiful battle.

Interested in the new players point of view which I hope will respond,

You warm up to it wow Falcon I did it just because I had to wait for my mates to finish a game , they told me to have a go while I was waiting ...

I think the MP Xp may show initiative,, In all honesty I didn't even know that, I skipped the intro even when it said "we recommend it" or something like that - skip lol

FalconR6

slyd0g55 wrote:

Yea but don't you think it promotes a certain style? " camping"

Not at all.

Let me put this on record, I hate the word camping. Because, by and large it is used derisively. Also, it is the most widespread insult, that quite often is off the mark. Many, many times, I have been accused of camping (in all previous cods too), why? --> because people watch the Killcam and see me standing still using cover. Geeze, sorry for not being on the move hip firing . If those people rewound/fast forwarded they would see me generally sticking and moiving, making my way around a map strategically.

My play style, like many others I'd dare say, changes contest to contest, game to game, lobby to lobby. Sometimes the game environment and opponents lead me to camp, whether that be to let headless chooks run towards me in TDM, maybe to hold down two of the Dom flags. Mostly, I play a stick and move style. Sometimes, I'll get on my bike and get right in on the action. It all depends on what my teammates are doing, and what the opposition are doing.

Lets take my favorite gamemode Dom. If from the outset I see my teamates running after flags, excellent, I'll take a more defensive mindset. However, If teammates are playing a slower game and not going after B dom, I'll do my best to secure the point (hopefully dragging a couple of my teammates to the flag).

Regardless of all the above, I do not care how other peeps play. Simply put, if we all played the exact same way then the game would actually become boring. The challenge of Cod is to assess the environment and opponents. If a couple of your opponents are camping in a room it is your job to snuff them out. If someone kills you entering a room once - shrug, second time - I'm hoping you went in with a different strategy.

I hear the complaints all the time --> why camp, you ruin the game, blah blah blah, what BS.

If players are as good as what they think they are then they should be able to deal with different styles of opponents.

I also hear the Ghosts has lead to more campers,,, I don't think so, plenty of so-called campers in past cods

This is not directed at you Slydog. For those peeps who thinks its OK to berate players who they see as 'camping'...stop.....just stop. You never know who is on the end of a controller. It could be a young kid, a mother, a father, a girlfriend who's enjoying playing with her cod addicted boyfriend, it could be someone who's disabled, could be someone with shonky eyesight. It might even be an experienced player who is laughing at you because you fell into his trap time and time again. For the love of gaming, just let peeps play the way they want.

Unfortunately, the increase in pace of game over the past few cods has given a lot of peeps sugar highs. Think about it, if Ghosts carried on from BO2 and increased speed, reduced map size, etc, etc, imagine the complaints. There is a limit,, and I for one am glad Ghosts pulled the reigns a bit.

One of my favorite past cod maps was Wasteland in MW2. I use to run to make sure the team had 2 flags. Then I'd get out my Sniper and hide. I might only finish the game with 12 kills. Didn't matter, I enjoyed the change in pace, a time to take a breather, I had just as much fun getting a few sneaky sniping kills as when I'd play Nuketown and get 35 kills (Kills/Deaths were a dime a dozen). Alas, my view is not shared by all. And some folks need the high octane on every single map.

I've played it once , vs another human & his squad He got smacked, I didn't feel glory but a sense of a mis-match contest,  but I noticed his AI members were ,How can I put this,.... Slow , My AI soldiers where on attack as I watched some around the half time mark,that's when I knew this was pitiful battle.

I have only really played Squad Assault which is against 6 members of AI --> the team you face is picked by your opponent,,, you play on the map and game mode selected by your opponent. Note: you change these parameters, which your opponents face when they challenge your team, via Squad HQ.

Granted, AI opponents are a bit 'slow' But they have very good accuracy and sense of awareness. Are they easier to face than the majority of human players, yes.

You warm up to it wow Falcon I did it just because I had to wait for my mates to finish a game , they told me to have a go while I was waiting ...

Yep, I do. Not all the time. Most often if I haven't played for a few days. When I started playing Ghosts multiplayer I played Squad mode alot. A good way to level up a little bit. But, more importantly to get an idea of weapons and perks that I liked. Much easier to test loadouts when you are not focused on winning (not wanting to let down human teammates.)

I think the MP Xp may show initiative,, In all honesty I didn't even know that, I skipped the intro even when it said "we recommend it" or something like that - skip lol

Capped at 2000 XP per match.

slyd0g55

Nice reply Falcon, I think what you said is on par, I too loveeee the map Wasteland, thou I never played it as a sniper(can't recall entering that map with a sniper loadout class) Yea I played Sqaud vs Squad TDM , That's when I noticed drilling his AI bots but I noticed some, were always in a corner guarding a door route, that's when I presumed it promotes a certain style, I've been playing this game for years lol it's in my blood now I just jump into a lobby & within 30secs I'm in "mode" I've probably clocked in close to 70 days of my time/life towards CoD , Yea I think Squads may come up trumps for a beginners guide to entering MP.

I don't think I've eve marked a correct answer , mod's did it for me 1 time in support

xoMrSLAVEox

Yes but if u adjust difficulty to hard or hardest bots shoot u with pistol from other side of the map and from behind bushes with 0 view and they start aiming long time before when u meet in corner and they kill u, and knifing is really fast what they do.

OUHATEME

Squad mode -- allowing you to play against another persons squad if you pay attention you could see how they picked their perks and load outs to see what you will potentially will be facing in game . Especially if your new and just starting out Watching the kill cams in squads could give you a lot of information . When I first bought the game I went into squads and quickly found out about being a bright white light facing squads where all used the thermal scope. So facing what people were actually using as their set ups gave me a chance to set up counters for some of them. There are several other reasons I prefer squads over combat training ... If you prefer combat training and don't care about Xp you can set up anything you like in private matches including the ai difficulty level. I use private matches for different reasons it's a great way to just walk a map .

combat training you were playing against predetermined load outs while it would still help just not to the degree of squads IMO

Im_Old_School

Don’t discount the uncanny abilities of the AI in Squads Mode.  I have written a couple of posts here about some of my more “WTF” experiences with these guys.  They can be some of the most A-Holish, Sneaky, Camping, Drop Shotting, Jump Shotting, Blind Firing, Dog Calling, IMS Setting, Sentry Gun Placing, 9-Banging, Symtex Chucking, Running in doors hiding from my Hind, Sniping me from across the map Bastards you wouldn’t believe.  The only thing I’m sure of is they aren’t cheating (and sometimes I even wonder about that).  And other times…complete idiots.  So it balances out pretty good!

If you want to get as close to MP as you can get going against the AI then go into a Private Match, set them all to Veteran or Hardened level and go at it!   Want to be a better Sniper?  I do this for Sniper Practice by putting myself on the map with my Sniper loadout against 6-8 AI on Veteran mode.  It works trust me.

The only thing missing is the trash talk in the lobby or the raging death cry (although I swear I heard one of them call me a “F*cking Camper” once after I killed him).  Maybe it’s because I get called that a lot in MP and it’s just stuck in my head!  Either way at least they aren’t making fun of my K/D. 

That’s where I would have to draw the line!      

nicedrewishfela

They are pretty much the same thing, to be honest. The AI has significantly improved, but they both serve the purpose of letting players learn maps, weapons, loadouts, streaks, etc in a safe environment without impacting their teammates.

slyd0g55

Yea they are nicedrewwishfela , All replies were similar in some ways leaning towards Squads , I guess making 5 more classes for your AI bots seems to be a learning/experiment curve, I can't recall playing another human as an enemy in combat training? I think in Ghosts private match you can but haven't tried, the only time I've ever played against another human was in Squad vs Squad