34 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 3:43 PM by cantcme RSS

Is it worth getting a monitor?

Bulletcasster75

Hi just wanting to know if it's worth getting a monitor for gaming? As I can get a pretty good deal on a benq full hd 24" gl2450hm. Apparently it's what mlg use and recommend. at the moment I'm using a 50" full hd 3d TV Samsung. I know it would probably be less strain on my eyes looking left and right constantly On such a big screen. Plus I like to sit close to the TV. I have read everyone that's done a switch wouldn't go back to a big screen. Does it really make a difference just wanted to see what you guys opinions are. thanks all.

• Re: Is it worth getting a monitor?
          obzi

Thanks for posting this one Bulletcasster75, I'm in exactly the same situation.

I will watch with interest.

OUHATEME

I Switched from 50 inch to the vx238 asus with a 1ms refresh rate ,,, got it for around $160 and worth every penny I won't. Even with the screen on the monitor being less than half the size I lost nothing. I won't go back now since switching to the monitor. So my answer is yes for me it was well worth it.

xcelrate

same here, switched from a 42" Plasma to a 26" LED and i'll never go back. reaction times seem to be better when all the action happens in front of you.

PatMoran

100% worth it. I have a BenQ XL2420T & its so good for gaming on console & PC.

Satakyn

I play on a 42in widescreen and I sit within five feet of the screen. If I had a 50in or higher TV I'd sit farther back, but I haven't played CoD on a smaller monitor. Personally, I like playing on a large screen, fills the peripheral and I stare straight into center, which is useful for quickscoping and run-n-gun quickdraw classes.

MonsieurTurmoil

I use a 24" LG HD Monitor/TV to game on, it works a treat. Anything smaller or bigger I personally find hard work.

nicedrewishfela

Absolutely worth it. I got an Asus for less than $150 and it works great. You won't go back once you switch.

Adeeez100

As nicedrewishfela says, absolutely make the purchase, you "will" notice the difference. I am in the midst of upgrading mine, looking at getting a 27 inch, either benQ or an asus, read some reviews, still not quite sure. Do a little research, some suffer from issues, an example being ghosting. Don't just go for the one that offers 1ms response time, look into it more.

chejose

I guess it depends on how much you are actually gaming, and how serious you are about refresh rate ect. I play on a wide screen 24" BenQ also, started using it around 3 months ago, i've noticed that on first person shooter games my kd has gone up just by changing my setup slightly.

ghamorra

Monitors beat TVs for gaming any day of the week. They have a higher resolution and faster response time. My monitor is 1440x1080 obo at 2ms response time.

Go to Best Buy, browse their Open Box item and look for the oldest tag. Open Box items at BBY cost the store money and if the item is old enough it will actually be more trouble than it's worth to keep in the store and they'll hardcore deal with you. I got my 42" TV for $400 and a 22" monitor for $99. Both are really nice.

MaxKirgan

Anytime you go above 32", you start to get some lag in draw time. Plus I think on the smaller screens there is less for your eyes to process allowing you to react quicker.

DorianJF

I was running on a 23inch and recently went to a 32 inch and I found the 23 inch way better.

My reaction times were way better on the 23 inch and I think it has to do with less is more - If you understand what I mean

sunekomet

Its definitely worth it. I never play on a TV anymore. A few years ago i tested the input lag on one of my TVs, a 42" Philips

Check youtube for how to test input lag. You can connect a laptop to it and run a counter on the screen.

Then you take a few pictures of both the TV and the laptop screen at the same time, and you will see different times on the counter in the pictures. Now can see how much the TV is behind the laptop in time. The pictures will be a bit blurry and of course its not very accurate but it gives you an indication. I found out my TV had around 200ms input lag, which is a lot in a fast paced game like COD. There was no gamemode on that TV though. The laptop also has some inputlag from itself of course so the test will only indicate how much slower the TV is.

Robwolves

Sometimes you have to be a little careful with the claimed response times from manufacturers. If you look at the detailed panel tech specs, rather than the TV/Monitor tech spec overview, there is actually a minimum, typical and maximum response time for both rising, falling and G-to-G on panels. I'm sure most manufacturers would only claim the lowest response time on their marketing brochures.

That being said some modern TV sets now have a gaming mode or native fast response times. My 42" plasma claims to be 0.001ms when changed to game mode. Whereas my 40" that I actually use for my Xbox has 8ms response time. I'll be honest, I haven't noticed any problems with ghosting, etc, so I guess 8ms isn't effecting my motion on screen.

Input lag is of course a different matter and I don't believe many manufacturers divulge the input lag of their displays easily. Typically most TV's will be under 30ms these days, I'm not sure about monitors though, but I have seem a lot around the 10ms mark. Don't forget you have other factors that add the overall input lag from yourself to the display (controller, console, etc).

Either way, you can't ignore the feedback above, as there's a decent number of people who have noticed the difference going from TV's to monitors. So if you can afford a new monitor then it's worth trying.

chrissyx30

Monitor desk and good comfortable computer chair is a really good setup for playing cod and way better than tv couch

godlyintellect

lol im probably the only person here who cant get comfortable in a desktop chair, i have to play on a ottoman because theres only one way for hands to comfortable hold the controller and play at the same time, i play on 32" flat screen with hdmi but im not sure a monitor would help me any because of my bad connection, even if i see them a split second sooner its still not enough.

Adeeez100

godlyintellect wrote:

lol im probably the only person here who cant get comfortable in a desktop chair, i have to play on a ottoman because theres only one way for hands to comfortable hold the controller and play at the same time, i play on 32" flat screen with hdmi but im not sure a monitor would help me any because of my bad connection, even if i see them a split second sooner its still not enough.

Lol, i too suffer a great deal from the "i need to be in a particular position in regards to my screen, and my hands falling a certain way" syndrome, that's good, i thought it might have just been me.

jnikoley

If you have a samsung, connecting through hdmi 1, and re-labeling the input "pc" or "pc dvi" will shut off all image processing that causes added input lag. This results in less input lag than game mode. You will essentially have a big monitor then. I find I play much better on my 46" than on a 32 or smaller.Size really doesnt matter as long as you can sit at a comfortable distance and can see clearly at that distance without corrective lenses. Size is only important in that full hd tvs resolution is 1920 x 1080. Most computer monitors are actually lower resolution. My 24" PC monitor is 1600 x 900.

PUR4IDO

Bulletcasster75 wrote:

Hi just wanting to know if it's worth getting a monitor for gaming? As I can get a pretty good deal on a benq full hd 24" gl2450hm. Apparently it's what mlg use and recommend. at the moment I'm using a 50" full hd 3d TV Samsung. I know it would probably be less strain on my eyes looking left and right constantly On such a big screen. Plus I like to sit close to the TV. I have read everyone that's done a switch wouldn't go back to a big screen. Does it really make a difference just wanted to see what you guys opinions are. thanks all.

That depends if you have **** TV. If your tv is decent then you will be fine. It's not going to make you a better player. I know plenty of ppl who are beast at the game & they do not play on a monitor. If your streaming/making videos, its just easier to have a monitors.

bendotcom

I switched to a 22" monitor over a year ago from a 32" TV. Don't go and buy a monitor if your wanting to improve your game and you think a monitor will do this for you. . . it wont! Too many people think money will buy them skill, it doesn't and I just want you to be aware of this before I start.

I think games look much better on a nice big screen TV and I will still play most games on the TV because I prefer the cinematic feel. But for fast-paced competitive games like CoD monitors are second to none, the main reason being the size. I play on a monitor and have a friend who plays on a 42" TV, we are both around the same skill level (he is slightly better than me tbh), when I play on his TV I notice a lot of eye strain and fatigue coming from having to move my eyes around much more, with a smaller screen I find myself much more relaxed whilst playing which is why I prefer it. However, it is much harder to notice people at long range. As for the response time, I wouldn't read too much into it, there is no night/day difference and there are very few people out there who are able to notice increments of time that small.

Conclusion, monitors are great to use and very comfortable to play on, but it will never make you a pro.

nicedrewishfela

It won't buy you skill, to be sure.

But in my case, buying one allowed me to play with the skills that I have rather than being handicapped by input lag.

godlyintellect

i agree with that, i feel like honestly if you can get comfortable one way and get used to playing with either tv or monitor and do well then it really doesnt matter unless youre a hardcore nl nutjob haha. Maybe if youre getting thousands of dollars to play or something but then again the majority of the community are regular people playing for enjoyment/competition without sponsorship (and by sponsorship i mean an actual paycheck not just a few gaming items here or there as complimentary).

nicedrewishfela

That's why there really isn't a right answer for everyone. It all depends on your situation.

Me? I knew something was wrong. At first I thought it was me, that I had been away for too long and lost any ability I had developed. I think that is what really killed my K/D, that I kept on trying to get it back.

But it quickly became apparent to me that there was something beyond my control impacting my gaming experience. I kid you not, the first game of MW3 after setting up my Mic I could immediately tell the difference. Did it make me a 3 K/D player? No, that isn't my style or skill level, but it allowed me to be the kind of player I am and be successful again.

I think a lot of folks are quick to blame lag for all their ills in game, and as it is an Online game there is no doubt an element of that. But I can guarantee you that many of those complaints would be washed away if players all had the time and ability to find the ideal setup for themselves. Not everyone has the time, money, patience, or know-how to do so.

RUSHER4LIFE

I like mid ranged TV screens personally, think mine is between 32-34".

ButterflyDream

If there is going to be a noticeable difference in the response time, which can be viewed by looking at your tv specs vs the monitor specs, then absolutely there will be a benefit, even if it is only theoretical vs actual noticability, that depends on the level of lag drop.

The other part or is more personal taste. I went to my families house for 2 weeks on holiday and played on their big screen hdtv. I absolutely hated the whole experience, i found it hard to focus on individual portions of the screens, i found the large size to be confusing to the point that i always felt i was sitting abnormally far away. Compared to my 24inch computer monitor i felt like the tv was the number one reason my gameplay was noticeably worse. After 2 weeks i still could not get used to it. When i got home i felt so much happier on my monitor. Personal taste i think, but there is a reason that almost ALL pros will use a monitor for gaming and it is not just because of response time. I convinced my brother to ditch that tv and get a monitor, he is a believer now.

cantcme

Go to www.displaylag.com  It is a manufacturer/model database of most current monitors.  Lots to choose from and it will link you to pricing to fit your budget.  One of the Ghosts talking heads(Driftor or TMARTN) has a Youtube discussing video lag, check it out.