1 2 3 Previous Next 296 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 9:34 PM by gotsomestars RSS

Explain instant death in Call of Duty.

Starbuck_OS

Someone detail how and why instant death happens in Call of Duty 7,8,9,10; that is when you are playing non hardcore.

I'm fully serious with this question btw, not trolling, I am trying to understand it without taking into account my knowledge of networking, I am blank slate for this question.

Instant death did not happen in COD2,3,4,5,6... so why does it happen in COD7,8,9,10; What is the difference between those series of games.

• 1. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
          AntiGov

Short answer: Client/Host

Longer answer: Client/Host is dependent on the Host connection, as in networking and not so much bandwidth. Lag compensation on such a system is dependent on the network provided by the host, one player with a poor connection on said network can cause problems. It's ancient technology that has yet to be replaced with more modern technology.

• 2. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
            maccabi

Starbuck_OS wrote:

Someone detail how and why instant death happens in Call of Duty 7,8,9,10; that is when you are playing non hardcore.

I'm fully serious with this question btw, not trolling, I am trying to understand it without taking into account my knowledge of networking, I am blank slate for this question.

simple answer lag or latency between players. It will happen on listen servers, dedis, or any system where there is a connection between players., and yes it can even happen on lan

• 3. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
              Starbuck_OS

So its a lag compensation issue. (that is its overtuned)

• 4. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                maccabi

Starbuck_OS wrote:

no because lag compensation is not what you think it is, it doesn't "compensate" in fact "lag comp" isnt actually a "thing" its a made up expression , what people call "lag comp" is a whole heap of separate things designed to smooth out the visual affects of latency.

Also without any form of "lag comp" things like insta deaths would happen basically all the time

• 5. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                  Izjar11

Starbuck_OS wrote:

Let's say a player shoots at a target at client time 10.5. The firing information is packed into a user command and sent to the server. While the packet is on its way through the network, the server continues to simulate the world, and the target might have moved to a different position. The user command arrives at server time 10.6 and the server wouldn't detect the hit, even though the player has aimed exactly at the target. This error is corrected by the server-side lag compensation.

The lag compensation system keeps a history of all recent player positions for one second. If a user command is executed, the server estimates at what time the command was created

Then the server moves all other players - only players - back to where they were at the command execution time. The user command is executed and the hit is detected correctly. After the user command has been processed, the players revert to their original positions.

• 6. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                    ghamorra

The average gun in Call of Duty has a TTK of <300ms. Taking that into consideration you already die fast naturally in this game. Mix in even a little lag and a player getting his first few rounds to land and it can seem like you're dying very quickly.

• 7. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                      _Guest_

Nobody has answered this question yet but why cant they go back to whatever system they were using before black ops?

I know it wasn't anywhere near perfect but i found it better than what we have got in the last 4 games.

• 8. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                        Izjar11

_Guest_ wrote:

Nobody has answered this question yet but why cant they go back to whatever system they were using before black ops?

I know it wasn't anywhere near perfect but i found it better than what we have got in the last 4 games.

this question > statement is half truthful.

MW2 had many issues with connection, (I was not around writing about COD back then) but I remember perfectly well having similar latency issues in that game.

Your experience might have been good, but others probably weren't.

From my experience since then, connection did start to decline in quality until Ghost. 

• 9. Re: Explain instant death in Call of Duty.
                          maccabi

_Guest_ wrote:

we did answer that was thew answer its not going back to x system of changing x setting insta death is caused by lag/latency

1 2 3 Previous Next