36 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2014 1:47 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Destiny doesn't show kills or deaths for it's multiplayer objective games

ghamorra

Seeing how Activision is the publishing studio do think that it's possible AW won't either?

• Re: Destiny doesn't show kills or deaths for it's multiplayer objective games
          nicedrewishfela

I think it would be a good idea.

Objective Modes are no fun in CoD  anymore due to so many people ignoring the objectives for statistical purposes.

thebiindsniper

I've been craving a COD title that removes the kills/deaths stat from objective games because I feel the kill/death stat is useless when a game mode isn't about simple kills.  Keep kills and maybe deaths available in TDM, FFA, S&D, Infected, and Gun Game, but keep it away from modes like Domination, CTF, Kill Confirmed, etc.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

mkweed5

It would be a good idea.I also don't think they will , way too many players put way too much into their stats.I started playing call of duty about midway thru mw2 and had the best time not because the game was great but because i didn't care about stats.Black op's came out and i started caring  about the almighty stats and started not having as much fun half way thru i stop caring and started having fun again.

I think if they did away with all stats or did something like Titanfall did and made it where you were the only one to see your stats more people would have fun.

vims1990

This is a recent image of Advanced Warfare's match leaderboard and disappointedly it doesn't show captures and defends for CTF. (Unless it was cut out of the image)

I don't think a design decision of no kill/deaths would affect multiplayer across two entirely different games. But I have to give props to Bungie for understanding that kill/deaths should not be part of objective game modes. Maybe one day, COD will eventually make this change.

AlteredVista

Activision doesn't make any of those kinds of decisions so them being the publisher of both doesn't mean anything. That is strictly a UI design choice by the developers, and seeing how Bungie has nearly 500 employees I doubt they have collaborated with Sledgehammer in any way. Bungie's approach to Destiny seems to be like the old days of Halo where the scoreboard showed only what mattered to win the game mode, you had a post game "carnage report" which showed all your match stats like k/d, and all comprehensive stats like total k/d and medals had to be looked up on the website (now they have an app/companion for it).

BanHaMMer

@'G', DESTINY does show Deaths for 'Crucible' (objective mode) and your KD/R.

If you watch this MP Gameplay, scroll down my page 3 or 4 posts and you will see at the end of the  'Crucible' game play what it shows on the endgame boards.

https://m.facebook.com/ees.kay.1

Sk

gambit1969

Good news, it might stop the kill whores destroying the objective game modes for players that want to play them properly

Post game stats should only provide relevant information.

DOM should track Captures, defense (kills of people attempting to capture flags or in the general vicinity) and offense (kills whilst capturing or of people attacking teammates capturing)

Kill confirmed should track Tags Earned (This is the amount of tags actually collected from enemy's killed), Tag's Lost (How many tags you dropped that enemies claimed) and Tag's Collected (How many you personally picked up)

K/D ratios don't mean Jack in most game modes.

PUR4IDO

Schuesseled wrote:

Post game stats should only provide relevant information.

DOM should track Captures, defense (kills of people attempting to capture flags or in the general vicinity) and offense (kills whilst capturing or of people attacking teammates capturing)

Kill confirmed should track Tags Earned (This is the amount of tags actually collected from enemy's killed), Tag's Lost (How many tags you dropped that enemies claimed) and Tag's Collected (How many you personally picked up)

K/D ratios don't mean Jack in most game modes.

LOL You're insane. K/D means everything in all modes. A guy who dies 30 times trying to collect tags or capping is not a good player.

nicedrewishfela

I don't think it "means everything". But what this poster is suggesting would also identify those players (Tags Lost). K/D as it stands now is mostly inaccurate in Objective Modes.

PUR4IDO

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I don't think it "means everything". But what this poster is suggesting would also identify those players (Tags Lost). K/D as it stands now is mostly inaccurate in Objective Modes.

I made a thread about this months ago. Blops 2 had it correct. After the match, you saw Flags capped, flags defended, kills/death

Tags collected / Tags denied, etc..

Why isn't this in Ghosts? Who knows.

Still won't change my opinion on K/D. Would you rather play w good player or bad player? ( When I mean good I mean an even or positive player/Bad would be a negative player ). I can only control what I do, when I play dom/kc I collect tags & cap flags, Why? Because they help me gets my streaks faster. I can bring in some air support, etc & make it easier for the chuds on my team to get to the objective.

nicedrewishfela

I don't disagree, I just wish it wasn't such a hot button topic for this community.

I think we'd ALL prefer to go positive in a match. Always better to go positive, and we'd like our teammates to do the same.

But I think K/D is the most manipulated stat in CoD. I'd rather have a 1.09 K/D Player on my team who gets high Caps and Defends than the guy 3.5 K/D guy who never caps or defends. The win is always more important to me than individual stats.

I think the series needs to shift away from K/D being the focus, especially in Objective Modes. PThey need to show what really matters and truly reward players for their impact. At the same time, I feel like players who negatively impact their team should be easy to spot as well. Still think SPM is the best measure yet.

thebiindsniper

PUR4IDO wrote:

LOL You're insane. K/D means everything in all modes. A guy who dies 30 times trying to collect tags or capping is not a good player.

Really now?  I hope you know that if someone dies in Kill Confirmed, either the killer may not collect the tags or the friendly team will deny it.  Also, let's say I played Drop Zone and didn't kill a single person on purpose, yet attained the highest score that helped the team win.  Am I still bad?  Also, there are teams who can win Domination without killing a single enemy.  Are you saying they're bad as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJ4nhbA-9Q

MW3: "NO KILL DOMINATION WIN" - Passive Aggression Win on Domination! (No Kill Domination Win) - YouTube

Winning Domination With NO KILLS! - YouTube

*drops mic*

~RUGGED SAVIOR

PUR4IDO

thebiindsniper wrote:

PUR4IDO wrote:

Really now?  I hope you know that if someone dies in Kill Confirmed, either the killer may not collect the tags or the friendly team will deny it.  Also, let's say I played Drop Zone and didn't kill a single person on purpose, yet attained the highest score that helped the team win.  Am I still bad?  Also, there are teams who can win Domination without killing a single enemy.  Are you saying they're bad as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJ4nhbA-9Q

MW3: "NO KILL DOMINATION WIN" - Passive Aggression Win on Domination! (No Kill Domination Win) - YouTube

Winning Domination With NO KILLS! - YouTube

*drops mic*

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Did you even bother to watch the video..? It took them 4hrs to get that 1 victory and that was a whole team effort of good players.  Do you really think you will get away w/o getting kills against capable players?

A player who's constantly going negative is not a good player, doesn't matter how many caps, tags, etc he gets or collects. When facing a good team, he's a liability. Good objective teams cap/ defend their objectives and if that player can't get a kill or two to get defenders off their flags, what good is he?

nicedrewishfela

I think, ultimately, it is the inherent core stat of the game, whether we like it or not. It's a shooter, you kill or be killed. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that under those circumstances, it is better to kill more and die less.

I think, however, the major issue many have (including myself to a degree) is the level to which this stat has been overblown and manipulated by the community, and the cumulative impact on the game itself as a result.

You are right... a player who consistently dies a lot and doesn't kill enough is a liability in any game mode. I see it all the time in HC TDM, even. Players who just barge ahead guns ablazin' and don't think about their next move. They play the way they want to play, and ultimately cost their team victories. But I think pretty much everyone can recognize a truly "Bad" player. They are obvious. They consistently go negative, but they also consistently don't help their team in any areas of the game. They are usually glaring.

But where the divide begins is then what constitutes a "good" player, and unfairly K/D comes into play quite often in those discussions. Is a Domination player with 250 games under their belt and a 1.05 K/D , 1500 Caps, and a 76% W/L a worse player than one with the same amount of games played but has a 3.75 K/D with 275 caps and a 54% W/L?

See that is where the logic gets fuzzy. I have a guy on my Friend's List.. met him on here actually and he isn't active any longer. He always spoke on here about his proficiency with camping. His K/D is around 4.25. But, interestingly enough, his W/L hovers around 27% (last time I checked). Was playing Blitz one Day, noticed he had over 2500 kills in Blitz... WITH ONE CAP. Is he a good player? His K/D would lead you to think so, no?

That is the gray area of this discussion. K/D, while a factor in all modes, isn't the determining factor of a good or bad player. I'd say having a negative K/D (less than 1) would concern me as a player. Dying more than I am killing, being a TDM player, is just not a good thing. But if I were primarily a Dom or Blitz or other Objective player, I'd have to step back and look at the whole picture to determine if my performance is up to par.

I've been beaten by negative K/D guys. I've beaten guys with double my own K/D. K/D is a large proponent of this game. But only fools think it is the only determining factor in a player's skill or proficiency at this game.

PUR4IDO

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I think, ultimately, it is the inherent core stat of the game, whether we like it or not. It's a shooter, you kill or be killed. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that under those circumstances, it is better to kill more and die less.

I think, however, the major issue many have (including myself to a degree) is the level to which this stat has been overblown and manipulated by the community, and the cumulative impact on the game itself as a result.

You are right... a player who consistently dies a lot and doesn't kill enough is a liability in any game mode. I see it all the time in HC TDM, even. Players who just barge ahead guns ablazin' and don't think about their next move. They play the way they want to play, and ultimately cost their team victories. But I think pretty much everyone can recognize a truly "Bad" player. They are obvious. They consistently go negative, but they also consistently don't help their team in any areas of the game. They are usually glaring.

But where the divide begins is then what constitutes a "good" player, and unfairly K/D comes into play quite often in those discussions. Is a Domination player with 250 games under their belt and a 1.05 K/D , 1500 Caps, and a 76% W/L a worse player than one with the same amount of games played but has a 3.75 K/D with 275 caps and a 54% W/L?

See that is where the logic gets fuzzy. I have a guy on my Friend's List.. met him on here actually and he isn't active any longer. He always spoke on here about his proficiency with camping. His K/D is around 4.25. But, interestingly enough, his W/L hovers around 27% (last time I checked). Was playing Blitz one Day, noticed he had over 2500 kills in Blitz... WITH ONE CAP. Is he a good player? His K/D would lead you to think so, no?

That is the gray area of this discussion. K/D, while a factor in all modes, isn't the determining factor of a good or bad player. I'd say having a negative K/D (less than 1) would concern me as a player. Dying more than I am killing, being a TDM player, is just not a good thing. But if I were primarily a Dom or Blitz or other Objective player, I'd have to step back and look at the whole picture to determine if my performance is up to par.

I've been beaten by negative K/D guys. I've beaten guys with double my own K/D. K/D is a large proponent of this game. But only fools think it is the only determining factor in a player's skill or proficiency at this game.

I don't include stat campers in my argument, they are completely useless in any mode.  I'm pretty sure understand where I stand.

I  just don't consider negative K/D players good. They are bad and should be treated as such. We all started as negative players, some of us got better, some are still getting better, some just don't play long enough to get better. I also include even guys or slightly positive guys in that equation. You know the type, the guys that pub stomp against REALLLLLY bad players , but when facing decent players that shoot back, end up with terrible stat & dash board.  I'm not a great player, i'm just an average player, but I do very well against bad player, I do well against good players (1.75-2.0 & I try to compete against the great to awesome (2+ K/D guys ) players. I really don't know your stats or how you play, but I'm pretty sure you know which players give you a hardtime when playing, I think we all do. That 1.05 kid will not give me a problem,unless i'm going against a whole team with his exact #'s play objectively like him & have the shyt team.

Also, It's Ghosts, it's easy to have a good K/D in this game. Unless you are just running around like a jackass.

nicedrewishfela

My take on it is... you are only as good as your last game. I think if you go at it that way, you get a lot less stress and have a different appreciation for the game and the humans who play it.

That guy who went negative last game? He could very well dominate the next round.

Why I don't get too cocky when I have a great score... I know that I might not do as well the next time around. It keeps you humble, it keeps you hungry.

I understand where you are coming from about guys with negative K/D, to a point. If someone consistently goes negative and never improves and hurts their team, they obviously are a liability in game. Doesn't make them a bad guy, but not someone I would choose to have on my team.

I once saw a great speaker. She spoke about dealing with people. One point she made was "Everyone is doing the best they can right now" (I may have paraphrased here, was a while back). But the concept was that every day, we do the best we can. It may not be as good as other days, it may be better. It may be a direct result of our circumstances or things beyond our control. You remember that with people, you'll go a long way. It is much easier to understand folks when you keep this in mind.

But as far as K/D goes... you just don't know. That negative K/D guy may have just started on Ghosts as his first CoD. He maybe took a while to learn the game and find the modes and play style he is comfortable with. He may have finally caught on and become a good player, but his stats haven't caught up yet.

You may have a circumstance like I had on MW3. Started out strong, moved to a different state and bought a new TV, and suddenly I began to struggle. My K/D dipped below 1.0 as I tried to figure out what was wrong.  Finally discovered I was getting tremendous Input Lag and moved to a monitor, my game turned around and I often led lobbies rather than sitting at the bottom. My Stats never fully recovered by the time BO2 came out, but they didn't reflect my true skill level.

Point here is, the issue isn't so much the stats it is the way CoD players focus on them and use them to insult or belittle others, or improperly try to boost their own status up. Was in a lobby the other day where a guy on our team struggled. He made call outs and was a good team member, but had a bad game. Immediately some ignoramus in the lobby began verbally abusing him telling him how much he "Sucked". The bully finished his rant and left... after which the player he had been abusing(obviously an older fellow by his voice) simply said, "Not much of a way to speak to a Veteran..."

Remember that you are only as good as your last game, and that applies to others, and I think your view of the game will change significantly. You don't know where people come from, what they've been through. Rash judgments may cause you to miss out on a strong teammate, or a worthy foe.

cupp212

Kills/Deaths should be removed from all game modes.  Players should be focused on winning the match and accomplishing objectives. 

why even play modes like kill confirmed if ur not gonna get tags ? thats the purpose of winning . If u want only kills stay in team deathmatch.