1 2 3 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2014 7:21 PM by shayswhim RSS

What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care

maccabi

IMG_4858.JPG

#CoDeSports is the term used for the competitive side of Call of Duty. It is played on a slightly stripped down version of Call of Duty as to is played in the regular online game. The most noticeable differences are :-

• Teams are four a side.
      • Only certain game modes and maps are played.
      • Kill/Scorestreaks are disabled (although to add confusion some have been previously allowed in some tournaments).
      • Certain equipment is banned for example now for Ghosts equipment like IEDs and claymores are banned.
      • Tournaments are played either online or over Lan at various events throughout the year .

When it comes to event organisations  the best known within the #CoDeSports world is MLG ( Major League Gaming) and it's probably the name most people associate with #CoDeSports. But there are many other organisations around the world (some partner up for special events for example MLG ,Gfinity in Europe, ACLpro  in Australia all worked together to help host this years CoD Championships for Activison, holding both regional tournaments and streeming the event live to a global audience of fans around the world. )

Teams,the Events and Organisations

Most "professional" eSport teams consist of 4 main players , a coach (who until recent rule changes were allowed to stand behind players when they were playing). Owners and auxiliary staff . While there is an ongoing debate whether or not eSports" is a "real" sport, the teams function in basically the same way as a regular sports team would.  CoDeSports is still growing and we are noways beginning to see teams offering proper contracts and salaries to their players. Most teams are funded by combination of company sponsorship, prize money and broadcasting/advertising to pays the bills, although it isn't uncommon now to hear of team being given a cash investment in return for a  percentage of ownership.

Where eSports differs slightly to other sports is a lot of the players also have secondary or additional incomes as you tubers or streemers on twitch (as opposed to selling aftershaves  ). The best example of this would be Optic ,who even if you don't follow eSports  you would no doubt of heard of, as their "brand" is so well known nowadays and their videos and live streems see viewers in the tens of thousands.

Watching streems of events is a great way to get a feel for #CoDeSports and given the amount of events we have now, there is nearly always something on to watch and more every month as the interest in competitive cod grows each month. Not only do you get to see some amazing matches but, as I myself have found you also find new sight lines and places to go on the maps that previously I didn't know about.Which have made my own online gaming experiences more enjoyable.

Matches are usually played with  "Casters" giving a running commentary, in  just the same way as you would see in any  televised sporting event. Not only do they cast the matches but will also give great information and insights which again help to give watchers a great understanding of what's actually going on.

While most of the larger organisations hold major lan events throughout the year, you will find most of them also run weekly or monthly tournaments which are open to any team to enter. As much as I want this piece to remain neutral I would suggest a good place to start if you are interested is Gfinity . Who recently started a for the community initiative for online tournaments and ladders with the focus on getting more people in the CoD community involved.

If you would like to find out more information about the various events past,present and upcoming events in the world of #CodEsports a great place to start would be on this very site, which many of you might not know has a section on  Call of Duty® eSports

I know ! you didn't know that  was there right? This landing page also has links to some of the #CoDeSport organisations and updates whenever there is an event on. You can also find videos of older events so you can see what you have been missing.

So why should you care about all this eSports malarky and why is it ultimately good for Call Of duty?

Interest in #CoDeSports and eSports in general is growing , with prize pools now exceeding 10 millions dollars for some games (Dota2) the main news media has started to take an interest, We started off with small niche gaming sites covering events, we now see the likes of Forbes and the BBC and such like carrying stories about eSports. It's the "next big thing" . In fact some of you maybe aware Call of Duty was actually an event at this years Xgames ! . .  I know a lot of people say they have no interest in eSports and that's fine, I have to admit i was the same and i come from a competitive background from many moons ago on a different game, But when I started to watch the matches and supporting a specific team I found the same excitement and interest  I get when I watch Maccabi Tel aviv play Basketball ( and yes that is where my "online name comes from )

But just think on this every time you play online in a normal game of CoD, or your clan enters a clan war -you are basically playing a version of eSports (you just never called it that ).

#CoDesports will help push the evolution of CoD , as features are added and design decisions are made to make the games more balanced and competitive for everyone . The holy grail for CoD especially is to find that happy medium where regular players and "competitive" players can play in the same universal playlists and not feel they are losing something by doing so.

"I have to mention The Twitter Elephant in the room"

Since Call of Duty Advanced warfare was announced, everyone as usual watched the single player footage and instantly asked about the multiplayer . Since then Sledgehammer have tweeted a few times that they have had eSports players out to the studio to test the new game and to discuss "stuff".  It has to be said that raised a few eyebrows within the regular CoD community (Along with screams of favoritism  towards esports and the end of the world is now coming).

Members of the Sledgehammer team have also been to the last two major #CoDeSports events ( CoDChamps and MLG Anahiem) chatting to players and fans and taking lots of notes, correction lots and lots of notes.

So Why is this important and good for Call of Duty you ask (pauses while you ask)..

Everyone who plays cod has an opinion on on what should and should be in a Call of Duty. We can't agree on anything as you put two of us in a room , we'll have three different opinions on every gun and piece of equipment in the game. But there has always been one thing that we all agree on, and that is that we want a balanced game. This is where #CoDeSports excels in providing a balanced platform for their players. So asking a "professional" eSports player their advice as to what makes a game balanced and fair is a win win for both eSport players and the wider regular CoD Community. Their feedback gives developers tangible feedback that they can work with as as much as people love to scream this "Fix your Game" is not what Devs would consider helpful feedback.

This is where feedback causes Call of Duty Devs to have aneurysms, we will scream for more stuff to be added till the game is bursting at the seems, then we will all claim CoD4 is the greatest Call of Duty mp experience as it focused more on gun on gun skill and only had three kill streaks. Listening to what eSport players say is our best chance of getting that cod4 "experience" back IMHO

Yes there is an argument to be made that eSports also removes other stuff from "vanilla" CoD and while this is true, you could say the same thing for the hardcore playlists. But anything removed is done so to both balance out the game so it focuses more on gun on gun action. Once you have the basics balanced it is a lot easier to add additional items, as ultimately the majority of engagements you have in CoD are gun on gun .

If you have any questions about #CoDeSports free feel to post below and I shall attempt to answer them as best I can. Also as this is intended to be an ongoing article if there is anything you would like me to cover, or explain just ask.

*Disclaimer

I have not added links to external #CoDeSports sites due to keeping this post within the rules of the forums, While there are many additional organisations that run events and tournaments I have only mentioned ones that have worked directly with Activision on the CoD Championships.

Yes I know there is a blatant spelling error in one particular word it was intentional (just accept it) .

• 1. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
          ghamorra
          #CoDesports will help push the evolution of CoD , as features are added and design decisions are made to make the games more balanced and competitive for everyone . The holy grail for CoD especially is to find that happy medium where regular players and "competitive" players can play in the same playlists and not feel they are losing something by doing so.

I really can't get on board with this concept. I think the opposite is true for far more reasons than I can list. The main two reasons though is that eSports community plays the game incredibly different. I went back and watched several matches and I must say, there's very little team work, at least in the videos I saw. What I saw was a heavily regulated version of games to the point that these "Pros" pretty much all used the same class and executed the same technique ever single match.

It's a very different world and if that's what "competitive" Call of Duty is then I'm not really sure why it's so glorified. I'm not saying they're bad, but to me the two very distinct worlds we have in Call of Duty should be just that, different worlds. Make the Call of Duty game for the general public. Make it universal and open to interpretation and then give the ability to adapt it to the eSports world.

Keep competitive Call of Duty out public Call of Duty.

• 2. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
            maccabi

ghamorra wrote:

#CoDesports will help push the evolution of CoD , as features are added and design decisions are made to make the games more balanced and competitive for everyone . The holy grail for CoD especially is to find that happy medium where regular players and "competitive" players can play in the same playlists and not feel they are losing something by doing so.

I really can't get on board with this concept. I think the opposite is true for far more reasons than I can list. The main two reasons though is that eSports community plays the game incredibly different. I went back and watched several matches and I must say, there's very little team work, at least in the videos I saw. What I saw was a heavily regulated version of games to the point that these "Pros" pretty much all used the same class and executed the same technique ever single match.

You just described about 80% of the games i have when I play solo in regular CoD

But you are absolutely correct and was the point i was trying to make, its the fact the "pros" use the same weapons that actually causes the regular cod to improve, Smgs are a great example it was from the "pros" all using only mtars that caused the smg buff, and as a result we see in game more people using other smgs and in competitive more variety in weapons.

you will always have one gun in a class that is favoured by the community, as no two guns are idnetical one will always a slight advantage or be considered the best all round gun.

when you play as i know i do unless im going for a particular challenge i only use a very small selection of guns,

as for team work, find a streem where they have the team chat playing (there was quite a few from last weeks MLG anahiem, these guys are non stop with call outs they sound like auctioneers at a cattle market

• 3. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
              gotsomestars

I'm going to have to go with gham on this one. "Competitive" cod is hurting acid more than helping it "as a whole". They are the biggest bunch of egotistical crybabies I've seen in a while. The complain and moan about how "noob" the IED is while headglitching behind the truck on war hawk with a remi and thermal. Competitive gaming was much more "competitive gaming" a couple decades ago before they started dumbing down every game in the name of "fairness" and  whatever other excuse they use nowadays.

According to the competitive playlists in the last 2 cods, there are more hardcore players than competitive players. Yet when the pro scene says jump cod asks how high, and the majority suffers.

The whole "pro" scene would be much much bigger if they would man up and just play. Stop banning everything and changing the rules every week and just play the game.

• 4. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                maccabi

gotsomestars wrote:

I'm going to have to go with gham on this one. "Competitive" cod is hurting acid more than helping it "as a whole". They are the biggest bunch of egotistical crybabies I've seen in a while. The complain and moan about how "noob" the IED is while headglitching behind the truck on war hawk with a remi and thermal. Competitive gaming was much more "competitive gaming" a couple decades ago before they started dumbing down every game in the name of "fairness" and  whatever other excuse they use nowadays.

According to the competitive playlists in the last 2 cods, there are more hardcore players than competitive players. Yet when the pro scene says jump cod asks how high, and the majority suffers.

The whole "pro" scene would be much much bigger if they would man up and just play. Stop banning everything and changing the rules every week and just play the game.

I knew eSports was going to be a hard sell on the codhq

Before I reply could I just ask we all keep the insults out of this, i really don't want this thread to deteriorate into yet another them and us debate that wasnt the point, If you guys want to make an argument why eSports is toxic for cod ..we have a whole forum to start a discussion in

I don't think you really can make a case for the ied, or would you like me to pull up every thread we have calling for its removal or nerfing from the "reg" community .

While i completely agree with you that the "competitive" playlists in both Bo2 and Ghosts are not very popular , that is in no way an indication of how popular #CoDeSports is to watch, as large tournaments see viewers reaching over 100k viewers. I for example love watching eSports but don't like playing in those playlists and much prefer the reg version of CoD (albeit the hardcore playlists )

but to answer the other point stuff is removed from the game not only to keep the focus more on gun skill,tactics and gun on gun its also done to an extent so the viewing experience is more dynamic and enjoyable too.

I honestly cant think of one instance where a change has come from the esports side of the game that has made the reg side "suffer"

• 5. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                  ghamorra

I think he means toxic in the sense that it push unrealistic expectations on players. One of the matches I watched was DOM on Strike Zone and I must say, it was sloppy and painful to watch. Both teams were so adamant about sprinting around the entire map that they made obvious mistakes and it wasn't just a bad game, they were yelling at each other to move faster and hurry up. As I've pointed out so many times, the desire to continually push the game faster only makes people worst.

• 6. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                    maccabi

ghamorra wrote:

I think he means toxic in the sense that it push unrealistic expectations on players. One of the matches I watched was DOM on Strike Zone and I must say, it was sloppy and painful to watch. Both teams were so adamant about sprinting around the entire map that they made obvious mistakes and it wasn't just a bad game, they were yelling at each other to move faster and hurry up. As I've pointed out so many times, the desire to continually push the game faster only makes people worst.

That's more to do with the tactics of how most teams play strikezone dom as opposed to how "we" would play it.

where "we" in reg play would concentrate on the classic 2 flag (let then get stuck in b) and then hold strategy a lot of Esport teams prefer to continually keep the flags rotating, and slay  to avoid the spawn trap that B presents.

I have to be honest though I don't enjoy watching strikezone dom as it's just too hectic and ends up a clusterfug of casters switching to players on high kill feeds

• 7. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                      ghamorra

From an educated and tactfully minded person we can watch that and walk away unfazed. However, most of the community are monkeys and what they see is what they do. When they see "MLG Pros" they immediate think it's superior and how the game should be played. They don't think outside of the most generalized concepts. They don't see how ridiculous and stupid it is to rush a flags and jump on it without bothering to see if someone is sitting in a corner waiting for you to expose yourself like that.

This is where eSport playing is toxic, because people can't be reasonable about what they see on TV.

• 8. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                        maccabi

ghamorra wrote:

From an educated and tactfully minded person we can watch that and walk away unfazed. However, most of the community are monkeys and what they see is what they do. When they see "MLG Pros" they immediate think it's superior and how the game should be played. They don't think outside of the most generalized concepts. They don't see how ridiculous and stupid it is to rush a flags and jump on it without bothering to see if someone is sitting in a corner waiting for you to expose yourself like that.

This is where eSport playing is toxic, because people can't be reasonable about what they see on TV.

Exactly same argument could be made for people who watch cod videos , a good example is the proliferation of quickscoping in cod as people watched yt videos and emulated trying to look cool.

• 9. Re: What exactly is #CoDeSports - A guide, and why you should care
                          gotsomestars

Which kind of reiterates the point that it is toxic to the community.

We haven't even mentioned the arrogance of "most" of these guys. And how they glorify being an azzhole over sportsmanship. And that in turn is emulated by the " esports community".

1 2 3 Previous Next