14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2014 8:40 AM by Alky6 RSS

I lost a game of DOM because my team wanted to cap flags

ghamorra

The idea that Domination is won by capping the most flags is starting to piss me off. The object of DOM is not to cap as many flags as you can but to hold the majority of flags longer than your opponent. I'm so tired of watching me team run around like a bunch of crack heads trying to get their capture fix. It's an incredibly stupid tactic and has recently cost me a bunch of losses.

I just finished a game of DOM where I finished last on my team in captures with 6. That's right, I capped 6 flags and finished sixth on my team in that stat. I had two teammates with 10+ flags capped and two teammates with 8 caps each. I highly doubt they were all capped together because it felt like there's was no time during the match where we weren't in the process of taking a flag.

The reason this is such a stupid tactic is quite simple. If you're always trying to capture a flag then the enemy is always going to be moving around the map and spawning at different points. So long as your team is divided and the other team is concentrated they will capture flags faster and thus nickel and dime you in points until they win.

As you all know, the more people on a flag the fast it's captured. While my team was always split taking different routes to a flag and sometimes trying to capture two flags at one, the enemy (though losing in kills) was spawning in a group on the opposing flag that we had under our control and capping it in seconds. They capped so fast in fact that they could take the flag and be on flag they were losing before we could take one leaving one flag neutral, one flag in their control, and eventually we could get one flag under our control.

If you want to win DOM it's important to take pride in your captures and actually defend them. I know the "pros" like to keep the game moving quickly and capture as many flags as they can but it's honestly a very stupid tactic and from what I've seen it often doesn't go well for them. They're frequently left getting shot in the back because they're pushing spawns around faster than they can control and this means they have a much more difficult time taking a flag and controlling the map.

I would honestly like to see the stat removed from the score card as it means absolutely nothing just like K/D. Capping flags is the most overrated stat and I don't see how anyone can come up with a legitimate argument supporting high cap count. All it means is you don't care about keeping a flag, only capturing it. It's a diluted stat. Someone who has 2 captures and a lot of kills can be more objective oriented than someone with 12 captures and few kills. The person with 2 captures protects their flag while the person with 12 captures takes flag and abandons it's only for it to be taken quickly and accumulate few points for their team. 

• Re: I lost a game of DOM because my team wanted to cap flags
          TL_Bare_B_V2

There's no right or wrong way to play Dom. Some people hold 2 and defend, some run around the flags, some go for the triple cap.

How I play Dom comes down to a number of different things:

• Map
          • Flag layout
          • Solo or team (me)
          • Solo or team (enemy)
          • Gun
          • Scorestreaks
          • Challenges

Some maps lend them selves to holding 2 flags and defending like Whiteout where the flags are in a line, grab B and a home flag then just hold the enemy at their home flag. There are certain maps that have flags you just don't want, like B on Stonehaven, it's pretty much a death sentence and i'll happily grab A and C then just pin the enemy in the castle on B. Maps like Tremor and Departed lend themselves more to running around and being cap happy as the flags are set around the map and there's plenty of flanking routes.

Personally unless a map has a death flag (B Stonehaven, C Prison break) I'm quite happy running flag to flag as thats my preferred style but if i'm playing in a party and they want to just hold 2 and build streaks I can sit back and watch a lane.

PUR4IDO

Play harder, carry the team.

DocChoi

Uh... no. Stupid randoms no matter what you tell them will always do something stupidly random. ghamorra has a very good point. He's not promoting camping or kill whoring in Domination; but when you have the lead, there is a bit of protecting that is needed. Same thing in TDM where you have the idiot runner go 20-35. When part of the objective is to DEFEND your flags, doesn't help when you capture a flag, you go and capture another one disregarding the other ones.

ghamorra

You bring up a good point. Not only is it hard to control the map but when you have teammates who are constantly making a dramatically negative impact on the game. "Carry the team", it's hard to do that when you can only be in two places at once. "Play harder", what does that even mean? "Play harder" as in play your game while also playing the game for 5 other players as well? That's impossible. It's easy to sit back and tell others to "git gud" when it's you running all over the map screwing over your team for sake of padding your capture stats and posting 50 kills. Let's just ignore the 40 deaths and 20 point loss. Let's blame the player who's trying to clean up the mess you leave behind everytime you abandon your flag to go off and pad your stats.

Really bad post there.

PUR4IDO

DocChoi wrote:

Uh... no. Stupid randoms no matter what you tell them will always do something stupidly random. ghamorra has a very good point. He's not promoting camping or kill whoring in Domination; but when you have the lead, there is a bit of protecting that is needed. Same thing in TDM where you have the idiot runner go 20-35. When part of the objective is to DEFEND your flags, doesn't help when you capture a flag, you go and capture another one disregarding the other ones.

That was called " sarcasm " ever heard of it? Apparently not.

slyd0g55

It's not a stupid tactic to cap more than 3+ flags, I like to aim for 10 flag caps a game, The mix up is what I prefer vs the defend sections of the map It's my fun factor, in this game of less willing to play objectives players. I've done the defend sections for years, it's boring in public games, If they changed the spawns in Dom ,that would be a different feel to the game - interesting...can't camp for KD like this , play for win becomes harder, overall becoming an "active mode".

It's a matter of opinion for the removal of the cap flag stat - I like it, suggests that my KD isn't earned by camping as well as supporting my Score per minute/ Avg score  stat

xoMrSLAVEox

That is exact what i tried to say few weeks ago here

C_CHRIS11

Most people miss the meaning of the objective in objective game modes. Dom is an objective game mode and the objective of the game is not just to cap the flags. The objective is to cap the flags and protect them long enough to give you the points you need to win. So a big part of the objective is also to WIN. What most people miss is that capping as many flags as you can will not give you the win.

What will give you the win is to cap your flag as well as flag B. These will give you the points to win. You also let the opponents flag to them so as to control the traffic of your opponents as well as their spawn.

Now if you lose one of the flags that you should control then immediate recap is essential.

What people cannot understand is that you don't need to cap all 3 flags. They also cannot understand that if you cap all of them the spawns will flip and become unpredictable.

The enemy could be respawn anywhere. Behind you, next to you or even by the flag that you are trying to cap and kill you while you are at it. And then they will blame the "bad spawning system".

Someone will have to finally explain to these people that, yes, you must do the objective but you will also have to make sure that you win.

sennalike

PErsonally I think this is a backlash on people's hatred for what they consider a camper. Too many are unable to spot the difference between camping for kills and defending a flag you own. To avoid being called a camper the option to keep moving and capping is taken, with the consequence of losing a flag that you then need to recap. When both sides take this strategy everybody ends up just running around in a big circle, everybody gets 6 or more caps, and the team that wins is just a lottery.

In previous CoD the strategy has generally been for both teams to cap their home flag and fight over the b flag. Ghost maps layouts have meant this is not always the best option. Perfect example being Stonehaven where if you own the b flag chances are you will lose. I am also finding a lot of solo players, when faced with a clan on the opposing side, make no attempt to cap at all. Instead the hover around a flag going for kills. I've had several tell me on mics that is what they are doing because they know the clan is going for the win.

I dont have any solutions for the problems with players choosing not to play the game as intended, it's a difficult one because we all have the right to play how we want. All I can say is I'm losing interest in playing at all because others decide their KDR is all that matters. I'd rather have a player on my team with a KDR of 0.80 who will play to win, than a player with a KDR of 2.5 who is going to just play for kills. I am talking solely about domination.

ghamorra

I'm not a fan of linear maps, but in DOM is obviously the only real choice. Spawntrapping is a major problem with linear maps but it's obvious that when presented with a fun alternative of each DOM flag being it's own individual environment the community proves that it cannot play with strategy but instead they go for a high number of captures and don't play for the win. So pick your poison.

Izjar11

The clean answer to your dilemma = play with CTFI

Personally fed up with seeing no-one wanting to Cap anything and most fighting for a 200 flawless game play for their youtube channel... IW re-named it correctly  'DO YOU EVEN CAP BRO?' lmao. 

I play objective game modes a bit and understand how they work but I do play the objective not tramp it out for kills alone, like most do these days.

Yes, I understand that you can only get 75 kills in TDM, its a crying shame

Alky6

I play very little Dom, mostly for the reasons you mention. I'm not a k/d watcher and since I'm an old phart, not the greatest player in the world, I tend to like to defend A or C.  If my team has B and I'm in the neighborhood, I'll stick around and defend that.  During a full game I'm one of those guys that gets 1 - 3 captures and a handful of defends.  I think it's awesome to see all three objects captured and I do my best to protect the ones we have.