10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2014 2:03 PM by jnikoley RSS

Need some advice choosing an AR for a long range class.

darkrangeresp1

I am trying to develop a mid to long range class with an assult rifle. However, I am torn between two of them. I wonder if anybody has some experience with these two weapons or some advice on how to tailor the class. My two top canidates are the ARX and the honeybadger.  Now before you tell me to grab the remington, I am running them with the semiautomatic shot mod and the VMR sight.

I know this is an odd configuration, but I am trying to set up a marksman build for certain maps and the marksman rifles cannot use the VMR sight.  Semiautomatic shot slows down the fire rate on the gun in exchange for the 2 shot kill to the chest.  The honey badger and the ARX both have a high center speed, reduced recoil on the first shot and a healthy fire rate to counter the slow down from the single shot mod.  They both have their merits and I am trying to choose between them.

The Honey badger has lower total recoil since it gets a 30% reduction on the first shot and has a higher center speed of 1600 to 1500.  The ARX on the other hand has a 15% recoil reduction on the first shot,  a higher fire cap and it's recoil is more vertical while the honey badger is random.  There is also obviously the built in attachments, but I am not looking to use the ARX's better hipfire or necessarilly build a stealth class because of the honey bandger's silencer. If anybody has some experience with these weapons in semi-auto fire any advice would be welcome.

• Re: Need some advice choosing an AR for a long range class.
          gramthenOOb

Although it's a case of personal preference, I'd recommend using the ARX.  I have yet to find a class using the Honey Badger that excels beyond medium range (and it's my preferred weapon by quite a bit).  The ARX has the merit of having that better hip fire in the event that you need to get a little rough up close, but can sustain a good damage output at a range, and you are able to choose a flash suppresser or muzzle break, as you are not bounded to a silencer as you would be with the Honey Badger.

My Pick: ARX

Shadowelite555

Now you could do a Marksman rifle with a Thermal, but I feel like that's not the road you want to travel. The Honey Badger is better than the ARX for medium to long range. The ARX range is that to a SMG; its basically a SMG in a Assualt rifle's body, 2-7 shot kill range regardless of Semi-auto. You're better off with the Honey Badger for this style of class.

Keep in mind: MK-14 ( Burst, Thermal, Silencer ) <--- Kills enemies like butter.

sennalike

darkrangeresp1 wrote:

I am trying to develop a mid to long range class with an assult rifle. However, I am torn between two of them. I wonder if anybody has some experience with these two weapons or some advice on how to tailor the class. My two top canidates are the ARX and the honeybadger.  Now before you tell me to grab the remington, I am running them with the semiautomatic shot mod and the VMR sight.

I know this is an odd configuration, but I am trying to set up a marksman build for certain maps and the marksman rifles cannot use the VMR sight.  Semiautomatic shot slows down the fire rate on the gun in exchange for the 2 shot kill to the chest.  The honey badger and the ARX both have a high center speed, reduced recoil on the first shot and a healthy fire rate to counter the slow down from the single shot mod.  They both have their merits and I am trying to choose between them.

I get what you're trying to do, I had the same problem. In the end I opted for the HB short to medium, the Remington medium to long, and either LMG or marksman for long. It's a shame you can't put the VMR on a marksman rifle, I would only use the MR28 if you could! You could try the MR28 with iron sights, it gives you a movement bonus, and if you had good eye sight is very effective long range, I love it. When the game first came out the HB was lethal with single fire, but the recent patch will have ruined that option. I suspect you will find success and frustration with either the HB, Remington, or ARX, in fact any AR with the VMR and semi auto. A lot depends on how good your connection is with the host, and that is going to vary. If you can get used to the iron sights on MRs then you will love it, the recent patch has not affected their 1HK capability.

gypsyfrogking

sa805 foregrip and vmr site or red dot site, focus makes it very accurate at distance and steady aim for close corner encounters ready up and quick fire plus scavenger because it works so well you will probably run out of bullets before you die, give it a go and i bet you will not regret it

claisty

For mid-to-long range ARs the R5 is hard to beat.  I use the R5, Maverick and AK-12 on most maps (with the exception of Strikezone or Sovereign) and they all do a pretty decent job.  Almost all the ARs do a great job with mid-range engagements.  The real question is are you planning on using them for maps like Stonehaven or Stormfront?  If so I'd go with a R5/Maverick with a red-dot or thermal and suppressor (depending on play style). 

If you're a run-n'-gunner then stealth is what I'd suggest: Blast Shield, Off the Grid, Ready Up, Focus and Dead Silence.  To use this many perks you'll need to drop your secondary, lethal and tactical.  Really it's a matter of preference when it comes to perks.

Hope this helps.

ghamorra

Why don't you take the IA-2 or MR-28 and add burst fire to them?

Both guns you listed have the earliest damage drop off at about 20 units. The most consistent range weapon is the FAD which I'm noticing a lot of people using as it has little recoil and does great consistently killing. Other than that, the guns with the best range and damage combo is the SC-2010 and CZ-805. They'll give you the best and most consistent shots to kill medium range. The recoil isn't that bad and the RoF is decent.

I actually don't like the R5 because it's damage drop off is so fast that it's not long before it's damage is on par with every other AR and it's recoil is too much to really work long range. At least with the two I mentioned above their consistency makes them very viable at long range.

xX--MattySW--Xx

Ripper is good for long range when in AR mode.

Also bear in mind you will probably get every AR there is named in the replies.

jnikoley

Ive run just about every AR in single shot mode, including the arx and hb. I would say the honey badger with therm is by far the best in single shot mode.