18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2014 10:33 AM by nuttin2say RSS

Reverse Idea: What if MW never happened, but Ghost did?

Shadowelite555

Every once in a while people on the forums comment on saying that the MW series was the best of the CODs, but what if they never were made? Many say that the first Modern Warfare was the best COD ever, but what if it wasn't made. What if Ghost was made before MW? Would Ghost be called one of the best CODs because it would be the first modern setting to the series? So if the Ghost game ( maybe games ) came before the MW series, would our opinions change? Maybe people would say that MW was a down year for COD.

This thread is an idea that I had believing that players over pride things in the past because the past got to them first, resulting in a mix future ( saying that MW/MW2 is better than Ghost ).

Im not saying, "Change your opinions!". But really think about what was good about the past games we played and what is good about the current, instead of having remorse and doubt about the current COD being Ghost.

for your thoughts?

• Re: Reverse Idea: What if MW never happened, but Ghost did?
          slyd0g55

That's Big call Shadowelite555 , But yea if Ghosts was made back in 07, CoD titles up till now would be completely different don't cha think?

Couple key aspects with:

Modern Warfare 2007

• photo realism graphics
          • Killstreaks & Perks

Ghosts 2013

• 1080p Graphics
          • Clan Wars

If those roles were reversed games today, I would hope the series would be current not 2515 era with maps - (sizes) weapons killstreaks, the number of players in a lobby, would we wearing helmets while playing?  .....I am one of those members that feels that MW was the best, a step up from just shoot & die, but not overally  complicated with set-ups from a rookie's point of view, One set menu of games ,all have the same Killstreak & the maps ..oh the maps, some of the best EVER

Ghosts is good ,but maybe not as good as previous titles

Izjar11

If Ghost was the first version to be played as MW was, than 100% Guaranteed it would be called the best and the one to compare to and the one that was "near perfect".

Side to side when you revisit both titles Ghost is better, the difference is which one is our FIRST experience. When something is first its new, you do not know what to expect, everything is cool and new and no issues existed before then.

iHattoriHanzo0

CoD4 MW was an amazing experience for a whole generation. Just the fact you are creating this thread so many years later is testament to the influence it has on multiplayer gaming. But as you're pointing out here with your switcheroo........ any CoD title that was released after MW, would have been just as amazing if it had been in its place.

Nostalgia definitely plays a very big part of the sacredness of MW, but we also have to take into account its relationship to the gaming world at the time........ head and shoulders above the rest. It was game of the year.

Although I really enjoy Ghosts and think its as good if not better than MW, it didn't pave the way like CoD4 did. Its also a shame to think the developers could magically produce a game like that again (head and shoulders above)..... no matter the budget they have at their disposal. The times have changed.

To be honest, I was very excited for Titanfall for the mere reason West and Zampella were involved. I was hoping to see magic take place again on this new generation of consoles. Really good game but not as groundbreaking as CoD4. Its bound to happen again..........but most likely when we're not looking.

Izjar11

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

To be honest, I was very excited for Titanfall for the mere reason West and Zampella were involved. I was hoping to see magic take place again on this new generation of consoles. Really good game but not as groundbreaking as CoD4. Its bound to happen again..........but most likely when we're not looking.

good response hattori

allot of people had the same expectation with TF, many thought it would "end" COD or something like that and COD still sells. I personally would love to play TF but we PS4 people have to wait.

I think people are secretly waiting for a game changed that will remove COD from the thrown of FPS (sad but true) I think I have found mine temporarily in War Thunder

but COD cannot be replaced easily, and then we are all hoping AW will bring back the "love" affair from before <---- this is false, as you say COD4 will never be replicated, EVER.

iHattoriHanzo0

Yes. The bar was raised with CoD4 which in turn created a new standard. This is one of the main reasons every CoD since then has had some negative feedback because it can't reproduce memories like CoD4 created for the gamers that played before it was released. Expectations are a obstacle each CoD after MW has been forced to deal with.

And just as you stated..... "Side to side when you revisit both titles Ghost is better, the difference is which one is our FIRST experience. When something is first its new, you do not know what to expect, everything is cool and new and no issues existed before then."  This is 100% true. The only difference is the CoD community isn't all on board anymore unlike the days of MW. So when these new players put in a CoD for the first time, they hear and read what a huge failure it is. While they may be experiencing one of the best games they ever had.

Edit: That trailers looks butter.....never heard of it before.

ghamorra

Hindsight is 20/20. Many of those people who reference MW A) remember it for it's popularity in relation to the other FPS of it's time making it seem better, B) forget about stopping power, juggernaut, and 3x Frag, and C) are most likely claiming that MW is the best because they've heard it was the best from YouTubers and either forget or never played it to begin with.

MW was a lot of fun but it was also one for the first online FPS. Outside of Halo I can't remember if there was another FPS that was online and as big as Call of Duty. A lot of games at the time had online elements but they were crippled with shallow game play and weren't nearly as fluid and deep as Call of Duty was at that time. If Battlefield released a version of their game back then, if Rainbow Six released their game a few years sooner, if Call of Duty didn't have such a fun campaign to go along with MP, I think a lot of us would be on another forum right now.

You have to really dig deep and think about the CoDverse back then as well as other games and lack of other games. Call of Duty wasn't great because it was great (it was good, don't get me wrong). It was great because it was the best we had ever known AT THAT TIME.

When we look back and think about all the games we've played since then, MW, W@W, MW2, Black Ops, MW3, Black Ops II, and Ghosts, we think "Holy Shnikeez, Call of Duty has been the best game for years". You also have to remember that we get hit with a new title EVERY YEAR. Most games have life spans of 3-4 years where Call of Duty has a life span of 365 days then we get hit with the next one. So that also can distract you from what Call of Duty was as you really have to sift through the memories.

Shadowelite555

Thanks for the replies guys.

LVLikeG

It doesn't really work.  People would wonder where all of the customization and bonus modes went if Ghosts had been released before MW.  Comparing them side by side, I would say that CoD 4 is the better game.  Ghosts had the benefit of being able to learn from each CoD release and I still don't think it compares to some of the earlier titles. 

Shadowelite555

Ah, you say that MW is the better game, why? Is it because you have better memories from MW than with Ghost? Do you look at the happy memories or negative ones? Im not necessarily talking about the modes and the customization, just in general. Hypothesis: Happy memories from the past are over saturated with positive feedback, holding back the positives of the future/present. *Im not trying to bash your opinion, just giving my thought to it*

LVLikeG

I've been playing a lot of CoD 4 lately and it has it's obvious issues that we all know about (frag x3, martyrdom, last stand, etc.).  I liked the map design much better.  The spawn system seemed much more consistent and the placement of objectives made sense.  The killstreaks were not game changing.  The guns were not all lasers that drop enemies with minimal effort.  I was also surprised at just how good the hit detection was with such few players online.  I preferred the unlock system as well.  Earning weapons, perks, etc. added some longevity to the game.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but those are just a few of the reasons I think it's a better game. 

nuttin2say

I think everyone in this thread is generally agreeing that COD4 was better because it was the first. I agree with that consensus but for a little bit different reason.

We didn't know what OP was or balance or the causes of lag. More importantly, we didn't know what the "right" formula for a COD game was. Now everyone has the answers to those questions. That should make it pretty easy to figure out a winning formula. There's only one problem -

- there's over 10 million different answers to those questions. And they are all the "best" or "right" answers. If you don't believe the beholders of those answers, just ask them. They'll tell you, "I'm right, you're wrong."

And that's why COD4 was the best. No one actually knew there were questions in the first place.

Carvalho16

This thread is just a dismissal of innovation, something which is very important in the gaming industry.

Ghosts would not exist without Modern Warfare. That's all that needs to be said.

nicedrewishfela

I've actually said this numerous times on this Forum. The biggest change in this series over the years has been the community.

If COD4 were released today in this environment... it would be lambasted on Social Media, yet played incessantly by the very people complaining.

The games have changed over the years, and personally there are things I have loved and hated about each one. But the core of the game has remained the same, just each with different innovations and ideas.

COD4 was a brilliant game. It changed the way everyone looked at FPS games, and really created the genre as we know it now. (Sure the first CODs were popular, but COD4 really changed the landscape). The following games built off of that foundation... failing in some ways, improving in others.

But what also changed was the community and it's sense of entitlement. Somewhere along the line, the community decided that their individual wants and needs were vastly more important than the creativity and innovation of the Developers. Certain elements from COD4 became community favorites and Devs had to bring them  back year after year, rather than bringing in their own ideas.

CoD has almost become self-defeating with how the community is now. People want what they want and refuse to adapt and adjust. Add to that the huge differences in connectivity and networking today as compared to when COD4 was released....and it wouldn't be considered the masterpiece we look back on it as now.