17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:24 PM by smackmeister RSS

Jive 7 Discussion and Troubleshooting

ghamorra

So now that the forum is back up the site is running really slow, a lot of the links are don't even work. There's cascading of different elements making it hard to read stuff or click links. It now says I have 0 points but when I go to my profile it says I have 31,000. The color scheme is really weird and has no consistency.

These are the only problems I've found in the 5 minutes back after the maintenance. Please list any other issues you've found.

• Re: Jive 7 Discussion and Troubleshooting
          OUHATEME

I Have been unable to access ghost clan discussions or recruitment forums,,, it puts me into a pick your grid screen..

noticed the slow speed as well ,,, had a few issues where my replies would not post . Hope it smooths out soon .

i Can see in the forum feed though that they did not remove the clan recruitment threads from that portion. With that it tells me that people are able to get to the recruitment forum but I still can't get to the clan discussion forum .

FalconR6

We just have to wait until it all fixes itself up.

The "last replied by" feature is not working properly.

I hope IT works over the weekend

They should not have opened it back up in this state.

tracy

Having issues with accessing inbox, can't use direct way, could go long way round for a while, then it wouldn't let me open messages, now I can't even click on my name and get to inbox that way as it doesn't load the options, just an empty white box. An 18hr update that's probably caused more issues than it's fixed 

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

So now that the forum is back up the site is running really slow, a lot of the links are don't even work. There's cascading of different elements making it hard to read stuff or click links. It now says I have 0 points but when I go to my profile it says I have 31,000. The color scheme is really weird and has no consistency.

These are the only problems I've found in the 5 minutes back after the maintenance. Please list any other issues you've found.

I am losing faith in COD and now the forums quick.............

smackmeister

We're continuing to work through issues related to the upgrade. The user and content indexes are still building so so the performance will suffer until those are complete. They should finish today and I'll let you guys know once that's done. Feel free to provide feedback and we'll address as quickly as possible.

ghamorra

What's the benefits of the new Jive 7?

I'm curious as to why you would go through the trouble of updating it.

maccabi

ghamorra wrote:

What's the benefits of the new Jive 7?

I'm curious as to why you would go through the trouble of updating it.

Honestly zero , because they just upgraded instead of fixing the errors already present in the forums, wrongly assuming what jive obviously told them that this would "fix" the issues (cough more button). The only positive i can see is we finally have twitter integration which could've been easily added if atvi didnt give the keys to their own community site to a third party. Jive 7 has so many known issues that deal especially with all the stuff the forum needed I really don't understand why it was upgraded

The only benefit and reason for upgrading wasn't for us or the forums it was so CS can continue their doomed to fail plan of turning these forums into a glorified copy of the xbl ambassadors program.

smackmeister

There are a number of reasons for us to upgrade. A big one is continued support from Jive. If you stay on older platforms, you eventually lose support... same as Microsoft cuts off support for older versions of their OS. There are also a ton of new features and integrations that are possible on the new platform that weren't there for the previous version. When doing an upgrade, our focus is to recreate the old functionality on the new platofrm. Once we're good there, we can look to roll out new features. There are also new features that you guys won't necessarily see, such as improvements on the administration, reporting, etc.

maccabi

smackmeister wrote:

There are a number of reasons for us to upgrade. A big one is continued support from Jive. If you stay on older platforms, you eventually lose support... same as Microsoft cuts off support for older versions of their OS. There are also a ton of new features and integrations that are possible on the new platform that weren't there for the previous version. When doing an upgrade, our focus is to recreate the old functionality on the new platofrm. Once we're good there, we can look to roll out new features. There are also new features that you guys won't necessarily see, such as improvements on the administration, reporting, etc.

I'm aware of Jives EOL policies, I wouldn't really class them same as microsofts though as jive has a tendency to eol stuff in very short time frames to force people to upgrade.

Question every time we have asked for basic forum features your answer has always been once we upgrade..well you've upgraded so does that mean we will finally have a working more button and the removal of sub forums that aren't needed showing in the recent posts modules? A a method to remove spammers? ban trolls ect you know all that stuff that a basic forum cms can do ?

smackmeister

Some of what you consider "basic functionality" isn't something that Jive does out of the box, so in order to implement, we have to do custom development. Now that we're on Jive 7, we'll first work to fix any issues related to the upgrade. Once everything is stable, we can look to enhance.

OUHATEME

I Really don't care what system your using ,the only  thing that really matters is it user friendly ? Is it easy to use, easy to access, operator friendly ? 

maccabi

smackmeister wrote:

Some of what you consider "basic functionality" isn't something that Jive does out of the box, so in order to implement, we have to do custom development. Now that we're on Jive 7, we'll first work to fix any issues related to the upgrade. Once everything is stable, we can look to enhance.

and therein lies the problem with jive using it as a forward facing  community forum it isn't designed to be one.The irony being here though is using jive for the forums drove tons of people away from the site. The forums are about as user friendly as playing hacky sack with a porcupine.

But I would disagree to some extent here, certain basic functions are out the box in jive "someone" just borked the code up in numerous updates. the more button and additional junk in the recent content modules being  perfect examples. If you want I'll happily throw up another jive platform on one of my sites and show you just what is actually "out the box" and where they can be changed in the admin panel (ie you dont need jive to change them for you)

FalconR6

The update should have improvements once it is all done.

But.... did Jive give any warning that the forum would be so adversely affected for what now is 3 days.

Hoping this indexing finishes up soon..... any idea on an eta ?

Can't use notification balls

Can't use inbox

Using the forum is like pulling teeth at the moment. I keep checking in to see if a sense of normality has arrived.

I'm not blaming you Smackmeister, as I'm sure you are pulling your hair out too.

The golden Grail of questions -->

Why is Activision continuing with Jive given it's less than stella performance? What's the deal ? If 'we' are not happy with certain products then 'we' replace them with something more suited.

My thought is that unless the forum rapidly improves once 'indexing' is over we should get rid of Jive sooner rather than later. Sooner because Advanced Warfare is coming.  If a cms change is to occur it must happen during a lull in proceedings.

Does it cost that much to run a cms that financial decisions are forcing hands ?

If forum users are frustrated by Jive. If CS/IT are frustrated by Jive (which I know you guys are). Why do we keep on the same path. From what I can ascertain from my position I'm going point direction to those at activision who sit above the forum realm.

Please tell me that once this indexing is completed that Jive themselves will allocate someone to quickly and efficiently maximize the forum. Why, simples.... this is supposed to be one of the biggest gaming forum around. This is a billion dollar franchise. The last few days is embarrassing.

Has Activision become so large that certain facets of their enterprise struggle due to wandering direction/communication.

The feeling I get is that head honchos above forum/CS realm do not understand what an asset the forum can be.

Apologies for having a rant here, but I'm hella frustrated.

maccabi

FalconR6 wrote:

The update should have improvements once it is all done.

But.... did Jive give any warning that the forum would be so adversely affected for what now is 3 days.

Hoping this indexing finishes up soon..... any idea on an eta ?

You mean did Jive actually tell atvi that the majority of the known issues in jive 7. all relate to loss of usability in spaces (forums) and the additional fluff that attaches to spaces my guess would be no to that .

FalconR6 wrote:

The golden Grail of questions -->

Why is Activision continuing with Jive given it's less than stella performance? What's the deal ? If 'we' are not happy with certain products then 'we' replace them with something more suited.

My thought is that unless the forum rapidly improves once 'indexing' is over we should get rid of Jive sooner rather than later. Sooner because Advanced Warfare is coming.  If a cms change is to occur it must happen during a lull in proceedings.

Does it cost that much to run a cms that financial decisions are forcing hands ?

If forum users are frustrated by Jive. If CS/IT are frustrated by Jive (which I know you guys are). Why do we keep on the same path. From what I can ascertain from my position I'm going point direction to those at activision who sit above the forum realm.

Someone in the higher echelons of the mothership got a sales call and drunk the jive koolaid.

smackmeister

The index has completed and things appear to be working for me. If you're seeing things busted, try clearing your cache to make sure that's not causing the issue. Also, since there are a variety of forum upgrade threads, I've created a consolidated thread here: Forum issues after the upgrade. It's also listed under the featured content to make it easier to find.

I'll also start a feature request thread to consolidate things that fall out of the "bug fix" bucket. Forum usability is one that will be on that list that we're looking to address.

rankismet

Can't get to the inbox as easy as before... points are wonked (but I could care less, TBH)... and the inbox number is way too close to my icon.

Hopefully these will be addressed faster than ricochet and getting the maps into the rotation.