9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2014 9:10 AM by phxs72 RSS

When is this going to happen?

cassman420

Yesterday I am playing Ghosts and I hear someone say Sony is going to be shutting down the PS3 online servers in the near future. If so, why? If so, when? If so, do you know how many people you will piss off? If so, when are you going to inform the public?

• Re: When is this going to happen?
          phxs72

Servers for individual games with dwindling populations get shutdown as a matter of course every year to make room for new games.  However, there has been no announcement that the PS3 servers as a whole are shutting down.  Someday they might but it would not make any business sense to do so anytime in the near future.  They are still making games on the PS3 afterall.  I would expect that the PS3 servers have several years left in them before shutting them down becomes a concern.

cassman420

Rumors always spread fast. I myself would think some time late next year. By far still to many gamers playing PS3 systems online. I also hear that the PS4 online play still needs refining. I also am hearing Advanced Warfare in only being produced for the PS4, that's a bunch of crap. Think of all the revenue from PS3 sales. There is not enough PS4 systems to make any profit.

phxs72

You must travel in some really unreliable rumor mills.  AW is multiplatform just like Ghosts.  I would imagine that BO3 will be as well.  After that you might start seeing next gen only but that's pretty much how it worked when they did the conversion from PS2 to PS3.  PS2 was still producing games for about 2 years due to it's playerbase size.  How soon the PS3 to PS4 transition goes will determine how long developers keep making PS3 games.  As is I'd say that the overwhelming majority are still on the PS3.  So you probably won't have to worry about service for at least two years.

Gunnerman677

I pre-ordered Advanced Warfare for PS3, sooooooo. In any case, Sony said at the PS4 reveal that they are still working on/with the PS3. The servers are safe for quite some time to come. Your mind may ease now.

IWANTheANSWERS

Yeah A.W is on ps3 and xbox 360 but my concern is it's getting made my a different company to the ps4/xb1 versions so it mite be sh!t in comparison because this time around this cod's priority is ps4/xb1 whereas ghosts was ps3/xbox360 then ported to ps4/xb1 i believe

phxs72

You have what is certainly a valid concern but I played Ghosts on both the 3 and the 4 and despite the 4 being a port, it played better for me on the 4.  Here's hoping that going backwards works out just as well as going forward did.

IWANTheANSWERS

What make's me concerned is they (sony) charged us for online for ps4 yet there's still hackers,so i'm not going to invest into a product when their previous one is still capable and free to play online.I just don't feel like paying for a cod online experience too maybe in a year or 2 with amazing graphics zero hackers i may purchase.

phxs72

You'll never have zero hackers.  Definitely not in 2 years because you've already got them today.  I was pretty skeptical about going to the PS4 because of having to pay for online but I have found that the free mini-games that you get do offset the charge pretty well.  I didn't think that it would going into it but I've played several small games that combined are certainly worth the $60 but I would have never bought separately just because I didn't know anything about them.  So for me the upgrade while I wasn't looking forward to paying for online play has actually worked out in my favor.