29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2014 11:07 PM by jnikoley RSS

Dear Call of Duty

jnikoley

What exactly have you done to the matchmaking in the last two weeks?  Every time I'm in a party, we get massive swings in lag that we didn't get before (relatively).  It's to the point that the game is far more agonizing, than fun.  Why are you putting me with players in japan, russia, saudi arabia, etc.,  and I'm in the U.S.?  I can only take so much of being shot where I'm not, or about to be, or by invisible people that only show up in killcams.  This wasn't the case a few weeks ago.  Now, I can play solo, and easily average a 2.5-3 kd.  Problem is, if I play in a party, it all goes to S**T, and I'm lucky to break even.  BTW, no way am I a 2.5 kd player, so why am I so easily able to average that in solo pubs?  Because you f'd up the game, that's why. Fix it, then leave it alone.  (rant over)

• Re: Dear Call of Duty
          nicedrewishfela

Trying to figure out how you want them to fix this... exactly.

When you party up, is it with the same folks?

What game modes are you playing.

Just seems a stretch to blame the Devs without knowing what is going on on your end or with the members of your party.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

We are from the same clan. I think I was the first to experience what he is currently experiencing and I was pretty vocal about it on clan chat. If I am partied up with them, the lag is just unplayable and I am struggling against people with .6 KDs and below. It doesn't matter what game mode but we usually play TDM when there is no clan war. The lag I am experiencing totally shut down my run and gun game and it killed the game for me. It simply became unplayable.

nicedrewishfela

Weird. Never experienced that in a Party ever, usually helps me keep a pretty strong connection throughout. Wonder if someone in the group could be messing you up.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I thought about it but we've been running around together for months without any problems. The weird thing is that the game becomes unplayable for them when I am experiencing what seems like a lag free game. And when they are experincing a good game, it's unplayable on my side and I am getting killed by people who are not on my screen or by people with superhuman reflexes. This is on core.

jnikoley

What I do know, is partying with the same people I was before, we now get international lobbies, when we weren't before.  The game is unplayable or you are god.  I want a fair fight. I'll take my licks  It seemed to change just before the last title update (ps4).  I normally scoff at rants like this, but being on the other side, and seeing just how messed up it's been has changed my perspective.

Btw,

I am parting with the same people I was before

Playing TDM

I'm not a dev, so I don't have a magic bullet, but I know something has changed since the last update, and it's not good.  I'll leave it to the devs to clean up their own mess....

nicedrewishfela

Weird.

I guess my take on it would be do everything you can do on your end. Check your setup and connections, reset your network... If things are still messed up not sure what to tell you.

jnikoley

Trust me, it's not my connection.  Always been open nat.  I'm the guy you go to if you need help fixing your connection. It's not me.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I did everything on my part. I reset my router everyday, wired, and I'm on a gaming monitor. I even reset my PS4 to factory state, re-installed Ghosts, and I still experienced the horrible lag.

The weird thing for me is that the game ran smoothly for seven months and I am running around with the same folks. It all started around the time when Destiny Alpha went live. I suspect they reduced the number of servers and gave it to Bungee and they changed the matchmaking at the same time.

nicedrewishfela

Could be. I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same thing on PS4? I play on 360

jnikoley

Different platforms, different experience, I guess.  I played a bit on ps3, and although not the 360, it was a totally different experience than ps4. The controls were a big step down, but my kd was higher, even though I couldn't manage the controls as well.

Many in my clan on ps4 quit playing due to the problems I'm having now.  I did everything I knew how to keep the game in a playable state, such as uninstalling DLC, etc., and it's worked quite well, until recently.

As I said, I'm "god" playing solo, almost always the top player on the winning team, but In a party, I'm a worm to be stepped on.

Also, in a party lately, we have backed out of games with horrendous lag, and noticed that 10 minutes later, we are playing with the same people in the lobby, and they are over 6000 miles away from me.  That can't be coincidence.

Why is the game putting us with the same person in some hut in Ethiopia with a 56k connection over and over again?

nicedrewishfela

While its cool that they released on so many platforms... It makes me wonder if that is bad for the series in the long run.

I really, REALLY feel like this title was hurt by being released during the new console cycle. Having PS3 and 360 is one thing... Two major consoles with large customer bases, could play on either or whatever your preference was. But all of sudden taking those groups and cutting them in half again... now you have 4 major consoles and just split the community up even more.

I think because we are so fractured, and the fact this title is in the stage of it's life cycle in which it is common to have a lower population anyways... you get weird situations with match-making like you are seeing now. You get more incidents of lag because now they have to match you with whomever is available, rather than the best connection for you.

jnikoley

Add to that, splitting of the playlists by DLC.  Playlists are being fractured too much, and a minor mistake in net code can have major impact.  I wish they would give older DLCs away to bring some of the playlists together, but bringing all the platforms together for one massive playlist would be ideal, although, that will never happen...at least until the masses cry out.  Imagine if you had a cell phone that only allowed you to call people on the same network? It's the same thing, and nothing is stopping Sony and Microsoft from allowing it to happen except their own self interest.   COD is a game that has the potential to change things in this regard.  If Activision refused to allow COD on a platform that restricted cross-platform play, Sony and Microsoft would have to re-think their position or risk losing a major title. It's been done before, cross platform play, and it would definitely bring us together to have a better gaming experience.

nicedrewishfela

Cross Platform needs to be the future. Same game, same rules.... Just different looking on each console. I don't see why this can't happen.

Oh yeah, because then they lose the Content Exclusivity moneys from XBox.

jnikoley

That's only part of the problem.  Bethesda had intended to make Elder Scrolls online 100% cross platform.  They were even going to charge a monthly fee to run the online service separate and apart from XBL and PSN (still are, actually).  Unfortunately they discovered that there are designed in hardware features, that make cross platform difficult to impossible from PS4 to XBONE.  So by "in the future", it probably won't happen until the gen after next gen.  Seems like we are moving backwards, in some regards.  I remember playing DOOM cross platform from XBOX-PC-PS1.  Oh well.

nicedrewishfela

It's silliness. All a money grab by these corporations.

What they fail to realize is, you give us a great gaming experience, we'll give you MORE money.

Then just have it up to them to provide the best quality hardware and let us as consumers choose what we want to purchase.

Izjar11

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Trying to figure out how you want them to fix this... exactly.

When you party up, is it with the same folks?

What game modes are you playing.

Just seems a stretch to blame the Devs without knowing what is going on on your end or with the members of your party.

Its not weird NDWF

its the game, ever patch, ever hot fix has slowly deteriorated the connection quality. I play with the OP (same clan) and we use to play for hours and hardly experience any issues, after the updates in late February it began, the July updates (to me) buried it. I stopped playing Ghost for the same reasons he describes.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I've been there even before you guys experienced it. It came to a point where I am deliberately refusing to party up because I know I will experience some wonderful lag. I had fun playing with you guys but it was just lagtastic and I refuse to play when I know I am put at a disadvantage.

jnikoley

I hope we can play again some time.  The lag is almost non-existent in private matches.  I hope we can play vs. some time.  Me, phx, and gambit did that when devastation first came out. It was the most fun I had playing COD in some time. Reminded me of the old days with a friend playing doom on LAN on PS1.  Good times...

Izjar11

jnikoley wrote:

What exactly have you done to the matchmaking in the last two weeks?  Every time I'm in a party, we get massive swings in lag that we didn't get before (relatively).  It's to the point that the game is far more agonizing, than fun.  Why are you putting me with players in japan, russia, saudi arabia, etc.,  and I'm in the U.S.?  I can only take so much of being shot where I'm not, or about to be, or by invisible people that only show up in killcams.  This wasn't the case a few weeks ago.  Now, I can play solo, and easily average a 2.5-3 kd.  Problem is, if I play in a party, it all goes to S**T, and I'm lucky to break even.  BTW, no way am I a 2.5 kd player, so why am I so easily able to average that in solo pubs?  Because you f'd up the game, that's why. Fix it, then leave it alone.  (rant over)

Hmmmm

I hear you Nik

I detest that they "change" so many things from the start to the end of these games, Ghost for the first months was GREAT, near perfect detection, great matchmaking and its all fallen.

Personally, I believe they removed all dedicated servers that helped improve connection quality, so more people are on P2P connections which are usually more problematic.

Reason why I play other games at the moment, I do not want to feel annoyed further by how bad the connection is. I've been sharing my experience, War Thunder is a hell of a game and its free and its connection quality is unmatched.

jnikoley

A few hours ago, there was a playlist update. Immediately after my party downloaded it, the game played exactly how it should.  The game was fun again.  I was dying, and killing when I should.  My k/d was lower, but I was having fun.  Every time I died, I knew exactly why.  If I killed someone, it was because I won a fair fight without getting a lag advantage.  It was the most fun I had in COD in months.  Unfortunately, it only lasted a while.  After an hour and a half, we were back to international lobbies. I didn't have a single negative game in those international lobbies in the following 2 hours, but it just wasn't fun.  I knew many of my kills were the connection, and not me.  Whatever they did in that fleeting hour and a half completely changed the direction COD has been going over the last few weeks.  If they can implement that magic consistently, a lot of our clan, and many others will come back to the game again.

ErUPtiON

You speak the truth, I just shut my xbox off not 10min ago & came here to blow some steam. Saw this post... and somehow feel better knowing its not just me.

This game has been for the last 3months  (for me) god mode... or a rubber band factory.

DocChoi

Same thing with me Nik. Happens more in a party. Getting matched up with Euro players when running with guys from the US and Canada (makes no sense) get nasty lag to the point where I see them, spray them and get a nice death on my end. Eventually this lag settled itself (assuming the other side now has terrible lag) and players kept dropping out. The game is pretty much borderline unplayable and none of us are running the DLC as well, so we should get the best possible player pool.

Yet, when I play solo, none of these problems exist... Come on! And more often I see host migration, it's like they decided to get rid of dedicated servers and now this game plays like Black Ops 2 in the connection sense.

jnikoley

The main thing for me that kept me playing Ghosts so long compared to previous CODs was being in a clan and playing with friends. Now, playing together is far less fun due to the connection problems when in a party. Although playing with no DLC had proved to give the best connection over the last month, It could be reversed now. I'll have to experiment after this next CW.

jnikoley

Playing tonight with you in a 6 man party the lag was much better.  I've noticed this in a few other games as well.  It seems that 4 or more in the party is the magic number for me for the game to be playable.  Well... either that or solo.

DocChoi

I found that as well. For the first couple games it was pretty bad on my end; but got better as the night went on. I find the lag lotto is random TBH. I played a few games solo and found that the game lags on occasion; it may be due to people leaving the lobby though. Definitely not unplayable, but have to play it more campy that's for sure.

jnikoley

For me, solo is the best option, connection wise.  A small party gives me the worst lag.  Larger parties of U.S. based players gives me similar connection to solo play.  The worst lag I get is playing with my Irish friend in a 2 man party.  We seem to draw players from everywhere on the globe.  It's worth the frustration of the lag playing with friends though.  Just wish it was like it was before.  I could party with my friend in Ireland, and we would get almost 100% U.S. lobbies.  I believe that was the result of us connecting through a U.S. based dedicated server.  Now, it's 100% international lobbies, probably the result of connecting P2P.