1 2 3 Previous Next 241 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2014 1:56 PM by gotsomestars RSS

Help me make the jump.

nicedrewishfela

Well, I am going to take the plunge. Decided over the past few days that I am going to upgrade to next gen before AW drops.. perhaps even before Destiny drops.

But I am at a point of indecision, and wondering if you all might be able to steer me in one direction or another.

Right now I am leaning towards the XBOne for a few reasons.

1) I am used to XBox. Boring, I know... but I've been playing my 360 for years. I have a PS3 as well, but I never liked gaming on it and it now sits collecting dust in our bedroom as a secondary Blu Ray Player. I am not sure about changing to PS or the PS controller. I have limited play time these days, and I am not sure I want to spend it adapting.

2)Kind of related to #1, but I have already paid for my Gold Subscription. Seems like a waste to have to abandon it and pay for a PS+ subscription.

3)Games- Beyond Cross Platform, I am seeing more games for XBox coming in the future that interest me. Was also thinking of picking up a used copy of Titanfall to play a bit while waiting for new releases.

4)Friends- Have had some very generous offers from folks on here to join them on PS4, which I greatly appreciate and would gladly accept... but I have a lot of friends on XBox Live and I'd be hesitant to leave them behind and start anew.

While I have those thoughts, I have not made a final decision yet. I know the PS4 has better graphics and is more powerful, but I am not sure how much that will ultimately impact my experience or decision.

So looking to see what the folks I trust on here have to say. Not asking for a Flame War, please don't bash one system or another.. but help me out here with some anecdotes and reasons you chose what you chose and why you'd do it again (or not). Maybe in the process of helping me, we'll help others as well.

Thanks in Advance, any help you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help me make the jump.
          matuzz

Well I don't own Xbone but instead of upgrading my PC I decided to get PS4 for the time being. I can say it works great and delivers smooth experience. As for games Sony has much better first party offerings. They have more studios while MS closed its own studios and those not making Kinect games are making either Halo or Gears of War. Great games both but there really isn't much to offer from 1st party side on Microsoft.

Then there is the future aspect as of now PS4 to Xbox One ratio is 2 to 1. And PlayStation is out selling for the seventh month in a row Xbox One in US which is it's home turf. So there can be a shift in focus coming later on to this gen that publishers would favor PlayStation 4 crowd as majority more.

But both are good machines I guess.

• 2. Re: Help me make the jump.
            maccabi

i've always been an xbox person right up until they announced the xb1.. when i finally go next gen it will be a ps4 nothing about the xb1 interests me, i think its a brick of a console, badly designed and ms have back tracked on so many things i dont trust them.

i mean the ings been out for what months now and it still doesnt even have basic functions working

• 3. Re: Help me make the jump.
              iivrruummii

maccabi wrote:

i've always been an xbox person right up until they announced the xb1.. when i finally go next gen it will be a ps4 nothing about the xb1 interests me, i think its a brick of a console, badly designed and ms have back tracked on so many things i dont trust them.

So you let the media get you, I see.

• 4. Re: Help me make the jump.
                vims1990

I bought the XBOX One based on my friends for the most part. I've known them for just over 4 years and I'd rather not lose them than buy the PS4 and start over again. However, I am considering purchasing a PS4 for their game exclusives in the near future.

I still believe the PS4 is a better console in terms of specs and with 10 million PS4's sold worldwide, it'll have a much larger playerbase. Microsoft did make a mess of how they announced the XBOX One, the ongoing controversies with always online, console price, compulsory Kinect etc  which is why I regret purchasing the XB1 at launch instead of the waiting for the price drop and kinect-free console.

In saying that, I believe Microsoft have made some good decisions over the past few months and the console is better than what is was at launch with the continued feedback and support. The only question remains is if it's enough or is it too late for potential next-gen buyers to consider the XB1.

Should you buy a next-gen console in the coming months ahead. Personally, I think it is the right time to upgrade and I wished I made the conscious choice to wait until now.

Which console to choose? I won't give a definite answer as there are other factors into purchasing (friends, console games exclusive choice, controller preference etc). All I'll say is what is more important to you as a gamer should decide what console you choose.

• 5. Re: Help me make the jump.
                  nicedrewishfela

But as far as the XBOne, how as your playing experience been? How does CoD feel on it, and other games as well? (Wouldn't mind hearing the same from PS4 folks)

• 6. Re: Help me make the jump.
                    maccabi

iivrruummii wrote:

maccabi wrote:

So you let the media get you, I see.

eh? clarify that statement

• 7. Re: Help me make the jump.
                      vims1990

nicedrewishfela wrote:

But as far as the XBOne, how as your playing experience been? How does CoD feel on it, and other games as well? (Wouldn't mind hearing the same from PS4 folks)

I didn't really play a ton of COD Ghosts (49 hours to be exact) but it felt like the same COD as it has in the past. Nothing revolutionary really apart from some graphical improvements.

In terms of other games:

Battlefield 4 was the only game I noticed a better playing experience because of the improved graphics, 60fps on next-gen vs. 30fps on XBOX 360/PS3 and Conquest was at 64 players on next-gen vs. 32 player on current-gen.

I would bring up server disconnections, loss of single player saves but I think it was across all platforms, not specfically a XB1 issue.

Titanfall played great on the XB1. Personally, it felt as smooth as COD. I can't speak on experience on what it is like on XBOX 360 though.

I've played Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Need for Speed Rivals and Watchdogs which all played great though my only disappointment was with Watchdogs graphics for next-gen and PC. Huge downgrade difference in graphical difference with what was promised and what was delivered.

• 8. Re: Help me make the jump.
                        iivrruummii

Ghosts on the X1 didn't have as many frame rate issues like the X360, Stoneheaven was terrible on the 360.

• 9. Re: Help me make the jump.
                          Izjar11

I've been a Sony player since the early days when PS was released.

The PS4 has been amazing, the details great, just a more complete console to me. I am not sure about the X1 but I am 100% satisfied with the 4. I spent my money well.

xbox animated GIF

1 2 3 Previous Next