27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2014 6:15 AM by PUR4IDO RSS

no dead silence perk!

bullfridge

Personally dont use the perk too much but in a recent video i watched dead silence is not there as a perk so how do you all think this will effect the game, any one really gutted about this?

• Re: no dead silence perk!
          iivrruummii

It will definitely effect the game, but positivity or negatively is unpredictable at this point.

gramthenOOb

Without dead silence, there will not be any ability to silence your footsteps, which will affect stealth gameplay.  The only way to be able to tell how much this will effect gameplay is to see how stealth oriented AW turns out to be with the new movement dynamics.

bullfridge

Well from the video i watched the guy said he thinks the sound in AW is the best its been so basically sound whoring will be worse than ghosts  but it means any one without a headset will be at a disadvantage on the other hand it would make competative gaming more interesting..not that it would wver make a difference to me lol

gramthenOOb

I think the one thing we need to remember is that this is a YouTube player playing against other YouTube players for gameplay footage.  YouTubers play in a similar manner to pros, and the way pros play in comparison to the rest of the community is extremely different to the point where they're almost not even the same game.  Pros and other like competitors may find the difference noticeable.  However, to the random player jumping on to play a round just for fun, up to even the most hardcore pubstomping clan, I don't think we will notice a huge difference, especially with the community factor thrown in.  In order to truly know, we will have to wait for release and experience it for ourselves.

Dforums

Let's see what their fix is per link below, but one of the things I like about PS4, is that with a $15 pair of earbuds soundwhoring worked to a degree.  Yes headset is better, but still.

It seems like there would be more mic use in PS4.  Not sure if that is good or bad coming from 360, lol.  Mute button needed more. 

I just wish they standardized toughness also.

Micky2001

I think in normal game play it may work but a decent headset will give a good advantage. Will this create more campers though ?

Not sure if it will help in Search and Rescue/Destroy. Dead Silence can create some good gameplay

scotland-rules

I don't honestly think it will effect the game that much as long as the foot steps are either quiet enough that it won't benefit sound whoring too much or they're loud enough that it'll benefit everyone regardless if they use a headset or not.

Overall I think it will leave everyone on a much more open playing field.

FalconR6

The following is from Condrey regarding Dead Silence (was on reddit)

"We've got a different, and we what this is better, solution for Dead Silence in the works. If we are wrong, we'll bring it back. But I don't think that is going to be the case."

C_CHRIS11

FalconR6 wrote:

The following is from Condrey regarding Dead Silence (was on reddit)

if we are wrong, we'll bring it back. But I don't think that is going to be the case."

Well, he is already wrong. People have been voting on this and the overwhelming majority wants Dead silent back.

phxs72

The overwhelming majority that hasn't even played the game yet wants DS back.  That I'd agree with.  I'm pretty sure that after they play the game they will want it back as well even though I have a feeling that footsteps aren't going to be much of a factor when everyone is jumping around.  I personally don't care if they bring it back or not.  It's no skin off my nose either way but I do just fine without it.  I would be shocked though if they didn't put DS back in just to appease those that find it a must have perk.  We all have our comfort perks.  I'm pretty sure mine is Blind Eye.  I do rather like being able to ignore sentry guns and helicopters.  I can survive without it but I'd rather not.

C_CHRIS11

Everybody has its must have perks.

Mine is ghost, off the grid because I want to stay off the radar.

I only used Dead Silent in Ghost on the second account I am trying to max prestige. So I am used not using DS.

But there is a vote going on and it seems that already people want DS back even before the game is out. Well if that is what makes feel comfortable then its ok.

What we would have done if they removed off the grid or blind eye ?

phxs72

I think that you and I would adapt although we wouldn't be happy about it.  The community at large would be certain that the world has truly ended.

C_CHRIS11

There has already a lot of debating for or against the game before it is even been released. There has been a lot of resentment of the game and the new moves.

The devs are watching this and I think they will yield easily to a lot of things that the community will ask. They even thing of bringing back Dead Silent because of the outcry.

The resentment of the game from a lot of people, I think, will make the devs weak and prone to yield easily to the community's demands.

As for you and me and some other people we will just play the game the way it is without worrying about stats and the rest fancy staff.

Carvalho16

I'd rather the game have must have perks than must have accessories.

Izjar11

bullfridge wrote:

Personally dont use the perk too much but in a recent video i watched dead silence is not there as a perk so how do you all think this will effect the game, any one really gutted about this?

there will be no complaints of people moving around without being heard, a good thing.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Who needs dead silence when you're gliding in the air half of the time. 

knightstemplar15

I am a ghost player i play stealth to the max. I take the long ways around and come from behind. Dead Silence was something i always run. Not having it is a big change yes but honestly when you hear thrusters on unlimted jumping does it matter if you can hear footsteps?

phxs72

I'm not bothered by it at all.  I played MW3 mostly without DS and mostly without a headset and I did just fine.  I've played a ton of Ghosts mostly without it as well (I do have a headset now) and have done even better.  At some point you learn that there is more to outplaying your opponent than just them not hearing you coming.  A truly savvy vet knows how to turn those footsteps into an advantage.

thebiindsniper

With the amount of influence that Sledgehammer has received from Black Ops II via the Pick 13 system, how the weapon attachments work, and the scorestreak system, I am hoping that enemy footsteps in Advanced Warfare will be extremely quiet, just like they were in Black Ops 2.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

biron_w

That's my hope as well. You could only hear footsteps if somebody was very close to you, that's how it should be. You shouldn't be able to hear them from 10 metres away and over gun shots and explosions.

C_CHRIS11

From some videos that I have watched without out any commentating and just the game sound, the footsteps are very loud. And that is how it should be because of the exo-skeleton as it is metal and make more noise. But that is how it is in real life but in games they can do anything they like.

Anyway I think that footsteps are very loud from what I heard unless that only applies to that specific map that I watched the game play. 

nicedrewishfela

I am a bit concerned, wondering how it will impact stealth in this game. Perks like Amplify have proven that if folks have the option of sitting back and just listening for attackers, they will take it and it will ruin the game play experience for all.

Personally loved DS because I hated to hear my own footsteps, and because I tend to flank and move around the board a lot. Stealth helps players who are mobile.

I think it all comes down to sound design on this game, which we all know has been highly touted.

My thoughts on how it should work-

Crouch walking, as usual, makes the player's footsteps silent at the cost of slower motion. Walking normally would produce moderate footstep volume, and sprinting would increase footstep volume by half.

Every player would only be able to hear footsteps around them within a limited area(Think similar to the range of a motion detector in Black Ops). This area would be larger for hearing sprinting players, smaller for walking players. This way you aren't hearing players across the map. It would require quick thinking and

I also think map variables should impact footstep volume. Different flooring should result in different footstep sounds and volume. Running on grass would be quieter, for example, than running on gravel. Running on a metal surface would reverberate more than on say... cement. Would force players to make tactical decisions about the route they choose and defenders make smarter decisions about where they set up,

Not having the right balance when it comes to footsteps can be game-breaking. Remember in this game as well you will get the audio cue of players using Exo Abilities (no idea if the suppressor will significantly impact those sounds or not).

Audio cues are so important in games like this, just as important as Visual Cues and Assistance such as UAVs/Radar/minimaps. Done right the game will be excellent. Done wrong... well you know this community will abuse it to no end.

gramthenOOb

At the end of the day, what has me happy is the fact that we won't have to sit through 11 months of "Amplify/Dead Silence is _____" threads around here.  When it comes to those, it's as if people completely ignore the search bar at the top of the screen.  It's one of the few thread topics that I won't go to out of curiosity anymore.  Happy to see it gone in that regard.

Carvalho16

As long as they are nearer Black Ops II standard it won't matter in the slightest.

If the noise levels are actually worse than Ghosts, then unless the devs patch in a Dead Silence perk it will be the first COD game I am likely to trade in.

PUR4IDO

Ghosts & MW3 have been the only COD's that I have used DS in. See what I did there? Two games made by the same unknown dev team that feature a lot of BS that force you to use perks like DS because the footsteps can be heard a while away.

If the footsteps are closer to older cods then it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I really never found to be an issue in the past.