8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2014 7:44 AM by Run_N_Gunning_Camper RSS

COD Ghosts Worse For campers?

LittleBlueTroll

I enjoy Call Of Duty Ghosts, so don't think I'm mindlessly bashing the game.

But does anyone else think that Ghosts has a ridiculous amount of camping players? In TDM people just seem to lay in bushes with thermal VKS snipers, or camp in rooms for the entire game. Everytime I play out of peak hours, the lobbies are filled with campers. I still play older Call Of Duty titles, and I don't seem to encounter half the campers I do in Ghosts.

• Re: COD Ghosts Worse For campers?
          DocChoi

Even though you shouldn't promote your channel on these forums, I thoroughly enjoyed watching you destroy those camping kids. To answer your question, most of the campers you see online ARE KIDS. A lot of them are not smart enough to understand gameplay mechanics. Certain things like understanding where the spawns are, when spawns flip, taking advantage of the mini map and map awareness require a lot of trial and error (meaning getting killed A LOT) and most casuals don't bother with that. So rather than being a moving target for the other team, they play it safe and this is what you get.

Not to bash them or anything, but those players typically would fare a lot worse if they didn't camp. Given the scores in the end, your point is demonstrated that they're just garbage players. I get annoyed when my streak is ruined by deaths like those; but know in the end the hardcore corner campers do it as a way of doing respectable in a match.

nicedrewishfela

Watched the video... and just have to say you spent 8 minutes really not saying much of anything. You rant on about Camping, but you really offer no insight into what might be causing this epidemic or how players can overcome it. Ironically, you spent the first 2 minutes of the game play "camping" in the Antiques building until you realized nobody was going that direction. To your credit you took the fight to the other team, but practice what you preach.

As you did point out, camping has been around since FPS shooters began. In some ways it was worse in older titles. The maps often lacked flanking routes, meaning players could feasibly stay in one spot for entire matches with no repercussions.  I remember matches in COD4 on Crossfire where guys would sit in the building at the top of the street the entire match, and the rest of the team would just watch the side routes. Or players would lay on the hill in Pipeline and do little else the rest of the game(or at the top of the ladders or in the corner of the middle buildings. So, it's been around a long time, and used to be rewarded even more than it is now with kills rewarding streaks.

Has it gotten worse? Hard to say, and I doubt anyone can prove it without any shadow of a doubt. More Noticeable? Sure, Social Media was still in it's infancy in COD4 and the earlier titles, and YouTube channels began to take off. Now everyone(as illustrated by this thread) has a soap box to bemoan "campers".

A few things I think have contributed to a possible increase in camping over the more recent titles.

1) STATS- I don't know about anyone else, but I was happily oblivious to Stats in the early games. I played for fun and could care less(not even sure I knew) what my K/D was. Today, for some reason, people place an emphasis on stats like that, so they become more important to players than playing to win or helping their teammates.

2) Connectivity- Back in COD4, connections were a bit more standardized than they are today. Not a lot of streaming or external things going on, so unless you were on Dial Up, you had a pretty similar connection to everyone else. Now there are a wealth of Broadband options, some pumping ridiculous speeds that cause errors and inconsistencies. People don't just game online, they watch videos, stream, and run other applications while playing. Put this together with the speed of a 60fps game and you get a lot of WTF moments and inconsistencies. Some folks feel like camping is the only way they have a fair chance, for whatever reasons.

3)People don't really understand what camping is anymore- I hear that word thrown around casually. I have had games where I never stopped moving beyond reloading or taking cover from enemy fire where enemies have called me a "Camper" in Death Chat or in lobbies after the game. Stop to wait for someone you hear coming, or that someone called out to you, and suddenly you are a camper. A Camper is someone who sits in one spot for the duration of the game, and will continue to return to that spot after dying repeatedly. People are very quick to cry camper after every kill.

There are many other reasons... Poor Spawns, Guns with virtually no recoil, Clan Wars, "Defending Objectives"... the list goes on and on and no two players have the same exact reasons.

Is Ghosts the "Worse for Campers"? Having played the entire series, it is hard for me to say with 100% certainty that it is. And there is really no way to prove it.

And, since you won easily, it proves Campers are more easily dealt with than ever in this title.

Shadowelite555

Is this thread only about advertising your channel?

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Those players you played with are not even Prestige one and the game has been out for nine months now. Those are very green and casual players. I wouldn't expect more from them. 

DocChoi

Never doubt green guys. One kicked my butt last night, turned out it was a friend who started a new account... cheeky b*stard.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Those re-starting players like that are far in between. Most of the green guys on pubs are really green.

I'm surprised you got your butt handed to you. It's hard to imagine you getting owned.

DocChoi

It happens, we all have our bad games once in a while. Those even out those crazy good games and makes me human. It typically happens after a string of good games and BAM suddenly you're half a second slower than the other team and you're struggling to break even. That and getting paired with really green guys that love to run out in front of air support.

Back to the topic at hand, the really green guys either run out like idiots or they camp hard like it was shown in the video. I played against some hardcore campers last night on Stonehaven. Seriously these guys were doing everything you can think of. Hiding in the shadows, hiding at the south end of the castle camping the spawn, camping on the top of the hill in the village, hiding by the crash site. Very frustrating, but eventually broke them down. I'll PM you guys (regs) when it's posted. Not the greatest game overall; but demonstrates all the things if done properly why average players HATE large maps in this game.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I know what you mean. I had a game like that last night and struggled against a team of randoms. I was hitting below average but played like Superman the next game against the same players. I was dropping like I was hit by a sniper rifle although they were using an AR. It makes me wonder if they were lagging when I had that good game.

Anyway, please PM us. I would like to see the game from your eyes and pick up some new tricks. I'm sure you have a trick or two that I probably don't know.