9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2014 3:52 PM by EJKHunter RSS

Shoot first, die first

Does anyone know why I shoot first but die first?

There's nothing wrong with my accuracy.

It's seriously affecting my gameplay and happens a lot.

• Re: Shoot first, die first
          Bulletcasster75

Whats your connection like? Down/up? are u wired with fibre broadband? Ping Speeds?

in the end sonetimes I don't think that even matters cause I'm setup pretty well. And it still happens to me. It's probably the coding on the game as everyone says! Happen to me a few times last night. after being in a match for a while you start to realise that it's one paticular person that's hard to kill. I normally put it down to that person being host maybe? I'm not sure. Or hes just one fast bad ass mother ******!!

EJKHunter

Remember, your up/down means little considering the console is only going to pull a fraction of your overall (ie. you test online to get the numbers), it is your ping's stability that matters most. You might ping into a match at 20-40ms, but throughout the match your ping jumps up and down constantly. The more stable your ping (I've found bigger bandwidth packages tend to sport more unstable pings) the less likely you are to encounter issues such as outlined above. It also has to do with whom the match host is and their location in accordance to where you are plus their own ping's stability. If you get swept into a lobby hosted from outside of your country entirely, your ping's connection and stability are going to suffer dramatically compared to other players in the lobby that live in that country. If I'm leading a party and jump into a lobby and everyone is clearly not from the US or UK, I back out of that as quickly as possible. Not to slight them or anything, but because that game is really going to be an uphill struggle of unfair levels for me and my party of friends.

The best example of a poor/unstable ping for me is a buddy of mine who pays ridiculous amounts of money a month for his up to 150/mbps broadband. His up/down are stable and high in games, but his ping jumps all over the map causing some of his games to be fair and good for him, but many are downright unplayable because at random intervals his ping will spike way up causing him (and only him if he isn't the host of the game) to lag all around, or he'll begin to say he shot first when I can attest to him not shooting a single round at all and just standing there taking it like a champ. It isn't his up/down that's the issue, it's his ping stability in the match. When he was paying for basic level broadband with a weaker up/down, from literally the same company, he never had a single sync based issue in a match. Ever since he upgraded, he's functionally downgraded his online gaming experience. Yeah, Nemesis downloaded in about a minute for him, but he has days he can't play through an entire match without getting dropped (Ping Timeout from Session) from a game almost every single time.

Needless to say, he's already strongly considering downgrading back to the basic package for his internet lol

Medrano911

It happens. A lot. I know nothing about my speeds or anything so I just hope I get in a game with a good host.

nicedrewishfela

So many here are blaming connection... and that could be an issue, perhaps along with input/Display lag.

But the majority of the time one of two things is more likely happening-

1) You think you are shooting first, but your enemy actually did. The animations don't always keep up, and sometimes the game moves fast enough that you may not catch it.

2) You did shoot first, but your aim wasn't as on point as you thought it was. If you are using an optic, sometimes they can be misleading as they aren't always as accurate. I find iron sights to be far more accurate, my Red Dot sight has gotten me killed many times as I thought I was on target, but was really slightly off.

And.. sometimes... it just happens. You'll drive yourself crazy if you analyze every death you take in this game.

EJKHunter

that's very true too, input lag is a major contributor to these moments as well, especially with newer tv's that aren't designed with gaming in mind, or that don't feature a "game" mode (and you'd be shocked to learn about 50% of major LCD brands don't support one...), and this means that the television's post-processing settings are on full swing, which can cause video and audio sync loss when watch tv/movies, but more in line with this topic it can cause a slight "ghost" lag between what you do with your controller and what appears on screen and how your brain and hands are able to respond to it.

Basically, all it takes is a few milliseconds of input lag to throw a shot you were absolutely certain that you got in first off its mark. The larger the tv, the more this becomes an issue. Yeah, it's great playing on a 60+ inch LCD, but its post processing and frame completion time in milliseconds is absolutely appalling when it comes to competitive shooters. Honestly, the best setup you can go for is a 24-30 inch PC monitor with HDMI hookup, and a wired controller. Right there you've reduced your input lag so dramatically that it will likely take someone coming off of a 34 inch LCD tv with a wireless controller a solid week to mentally compensate the change, but holy crap will you see a major difference in your game as a result.

Between ping and input lag, it's no wonder you hear so damn much raging on CoD games lol

nicedrewishfela

Not shocked at all. I have shared on here multiple times about my own experience with input/Display lag when I bought my Vizio LCD 3D Smart TV. Switched to an ASUS monitor, and while I still get WTF moments and the occasional laggy lobby from time to time, my experience has improved beyond all expectations.

EJKHunter

Because you've basically reduced input lag to it's absolute minimum, to the point where it is no longer a legitimate reason for those WTF moments lol I did the same last year finally with BO2, holy crap was it like night and day. Now my WTF moments are entirely due to connection/host lag, but they're far less rage worthy.. 10 to 1 they're actually quite amusing because connection lag is completely unpredictable.

The walking head with no body is always interesting, but the funniest/most horrific moments are when you watch an enemy step off the edge of something, die spontaneously from an angle that couldn't possibly hit him, rewind in mid air and return to the edge of the cliff, then ragdoll over the edge as they get shot from an angle that makes sense finally. Those right there are moments I would absolutely love to record for a theater, just to edit into something ridiculous later.

Adeeez100

This subject, could, and will if you let it ruin your gaming experience. It has the potential to consume your inner gaming soul, you are far better off not even entertaining the issue with any sort of thought process.

I cannot deny once again, drew presents some sound advice, your choice, listen to it, and the game will be more fun, take your own thought processes further and the game becomes a chore.

For the record, since blops 1, my personal enjoyment has diminished no end.

xoMrSLAVEox

Thats one of the reasons why i dont play ghosts multiplayer anymore, it really sucks!!!