20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2014 5:56 PM by chad111 RSS

So the wiiu sales numbers or the revenue split% killed COD on WIIU?

OFC-Giorgio

Revisiting Wii/wiiu sales numbers that should make us happy with cod on wiiu in the first place

I guess that there's not enough money to be made by selling COD advance warfare to the small installed wiiu base with a too small number of cod players. Even 'just' porting the game seems to be not economically feasible (or not yielding enough $$$$ for Activision).

Another possibility is a  dispute over the revenue split between Activision and Nintendo.

The bottom line is: not getting advanced warfare on the wiiu is a big bummer for all the loyal wii/wiiu cod fans and the wiimote players.

For me it means the end of multiplayer online FPS gaming with the wiimote and thus a forced retirement of my COD 'career' (wii: waw, mwr, bo, mw3; wiiu: bo2, ghosts).

• Re: So the wiiu sales numbers or the revenue split% killed COD on WIIU?
          NkoSekirei

the main reason wat killed cod on the wii u is activision cause they didnt support the games on their or even give us dlc which by the way is the reason why we have a low install base

bughunt

Yeah, I have to agree with this one.

There were too many instances of multi-platform games being gimped on the Wii U on the way out the door.  A rushed game is bad enough.  A rushed game without real support to "finish" the game and fix numerous bugs is worse.  Stripping features out of the game and then expecting the same full retail price and every Nintendo gamer to scoop it up takes the situation too far.  And that is without considering the lack of any effort to let the consumer know that it is, indeed, available on the Wii U.

That by itself would be enough to make many look to other platforms in order to get anything close to quality for a 3rd party release.  Now factor in the complete removal of any additional content and you have effectively rendered the title not worth getting on the Wii U.  It was understandable for the Wii, but inexcusable for the Wii U.  No reason to not have the same pre-order bonuses in order to gain interest.

It took two years for Activision to release a free, old map on the Wii U that the other platforms got long, long ago.  Other 3rd party studios are just as guilty for gimping titles and complaining that it wasn't well received.

You could look at it like sowing crops:  You only yield a crop if you actually take the effort to sow the seed.

Not sure what has been happening in the background, but I've been smelling some complete bull for a while.  Even since a few months after the initial revealing of the Wii U.

Mission accomplished though, I guess.

AsianSensation97

Its definitely the revenue split. Black Ops II Wii U over 500,000 copies. Lots of games don't sell anywhere near 500,000 copies, let alone more than that. I play a game called Wargame Red Dragon on PC. The developers only publish this game on teh PC, and it doesn't even sell that well. Over three games in the franchise it has only sold over 1 million games, taht's way  less than COD on Nintendo. On top of that each game is only $40 and gets multiples free DLCs each year. The game is way more in depth, just look it up, meaning the developers spend much more time on the game than a simple Wii U port. If they can make money doing all this, Activision is making a ton of money from COD on Nintendo. I find it weird that Activision won't make a simple port to the Wii U to make a ton of money but that's their loss.

nintendon't

Those aren't even real sales numbers though.

chad111

The Wii U community is really getting the screws put to it, first EA says "no more games", and just recently Ubisoft says after Watch Dogs there will be no more games until sales of the console pick up. Activision too, no more M rated titles, just Skylanders and Just Dance. They sure will help the PS4 and Xbone sell consoles by supporting them with lots of games, what does the Wii U get, ports, the third party don't even develop for the Wii U, it's just ports. I say it's a conspiracy. Not one of those companies or Nintendo are saying any thing. The only one that really loses out is you and I. I'm not moving to another game system, I bought 2 Wii U and that's enough for me, if they make the games I want for the console I own then I will buy, other wise they don't get the sale. Looks like Mario and Link game from here on out. There's a reason they're call the third party, it's because you shouldn't count on them for support, you are guaranteed support from the first party.

paulywarp7

Its like I've said all along, Activision and Treyarch always rushed a game out to please shareholders dead lines over giving its customers a good game. Well now its turned on them and bit their ass, people have stopped buying this rubbish and hopefully they suffered for it, and that's probably why we aint getting anymore. If only they listened to their customers more on important issues, rather than what colour camo some people wanted, or nerf this and buff that we might still have a community. People have slated me in the past for speaking my mind about A_Trey_U and other devs for doing a poor job, and just accused me of not liking him, well after speaking to him a few times and he replied with,, " I'm really trying hard not to ban you Pauly" just for saying something he didn't like, and I didn't even break any forum rules, it goes beyond just disliking him. In fact, if he is unemployed because of poor workmanship, I'd like to think I had a helping hand for constantly complaining about these last two awful games, because in my experience, even though the graphics are bad in comparison to the WiiU, all the CoD games on the Wii run better than Bo2 and Ghosts. All they had to do was take more time to finish a game, and give the WiiU compatible servers or write a new code for the games so people didn't have to suffer appalling connection issues, and people wouldn't have left in such a hurry.

Instead of kissing A_Trey_U's backside everytime he showed up here, people should've complained more, but young people today just don't seem to know what quality is, and that's another reason why we get left out. So he got his feelings hurt a few times so he threatens to stop coming here, and people are like, don't go don't go, we love you A_Trey_U, we appreciate you,,, pffft......

chad111

paulywarp7 wrote:

If only they listened to their customers more on important issues, rather than what colour camo some people wanted, or nerf this and buff that we might still have a community.

I'm still butthurt over the smg nerf in black ops 2. The game started out good, then somebody whined because they got killed by a smg.

oldmanjim

Ask yourself...what made games like MW2, MW3, BO fun to play?
                              Why did the game devs change that? 
                              Remember, these games HAVE to appeal to the largest number of people as possible so you cant keep tailoring  a game for the elite players.  I've heard soooo many people complain about the Wii-mote...its all BS.

A lot of the changes in the last couple of COD games came at the behest of the experienced, elite players which I believe drove players away.
                              Why not have separate game modes for those players.  Idk, I could probably go on forever but complaining that its too easy for poor players to make kills and insist they make changes to the game is ridiculous.  All it does is drive people away.
                              I'm just a casual player, play a few times a week for a couple of hours.  I'm a lot better on Ghosts than BO2 and enjoyed MW3 the most. I hold my own.
                              But nerfing guns, increasing kick, making some controllers more difficult, ridiculous.  People complain about these things all the time, if you dont like it then use them yourself-but dont drive people away.
                              Just my 2 cents worth.

The revenue split is an interesting idea.  Before the Wii U came out I was reading articles about how easy and inexpensive it would be to port a game over.  I didnt care if it was an older game.  I wanted a nintendo product with the ability to play games not previously available.  So what stopped it.  Yea, the # of units sold perhaps but again porting games isnt that costly, which leaves revenue. 

I would have payed a lot more $$ for a Nintendo console that would equal a PS4 or XB1. 
                              I'm rambling, night freaks.

Chaos_1

I couldn't agree more, these lousy 3rd-rate ports for Wii U need to stop, and that same thing goes for all 3rd party titles.

I can't fathom why they would make such an awful business decision. If they actually decided to make a dedicated port of their games to the Wii U rather than making these ridiculous shortcuts, I guarantee that their games would sell alot more than they do now.

like2nap03

Chaos_1 wrote:

I couldn't agree more, these lousy 3rd-rate ports for Wii U need to stop, and that same thing goes for all 3rd party titles.

I can't fathom why they would make such an awful business decision. If they actually decided to make a dedicated port of their games to the Wii U rather than making these ridiculous shortcuts, I guarantee that their games would sell alot more than they do now.

That's the thing though.  Some of the early ports are great.  Batman Arkham City is great and the Wii U version is the best by far.  Excellent use of the gamepad and came with free DLC.  I'd say the same for Splinter Cell Blacklist which is a Ubisoft game.  The only thing it missed was local co-op, but it has everything else.  I even unlocked some gear with U-Play points that I earned from that game and other Ubisoft games.  The gamepad also makes that game better.  But those games didn't sell well.  AC3 even got DLC.  DL-F*ing-C! But it didn't sell well either.  Darksiders 2 is one of my favorite games.  It's just great.  Also had some DLC and has some nice gamepad features.  Pretty sure it didn't sell well either.  Wii U owners complain about third party support, but they don't buy third party games.  I know some ports aren't great, but there are great ones out there. 

I would call this game an excellent port.  Wish it got just one more patch to fix a couple glitches, but overall it's a great, well-built game and has turned into my favorite COD game. 

expresso83

If there is friction between Activision and Nintendo, then why did the new Skylanders come to Wii U then?

Padiego

Like others have said, there's no dispute.......

We got CoD, we got DLC. If there was a dispute, we would have none of that.

So why did we not get AW?

Sales were poor. Simple as that. It's not worth porting a whole game to satisfy a small population