24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2014 3:47 AM by nuttin2say RSS

The do's and don'ts of camping

DARKPHOENIX800

The do's and don'ts of camping

DO                                                                                              DON'T

USE A SNIPER OR LMG DOWN LONG LINES OF SIGT            CAMP IN A CORNER WITH A SMG OR SHOTGUN

USE IEDs PESPONSIBLY                                                            CAMP WITH ABOVE WEAPONS IN TEAM DEATHMATCH

PROVIDE A SUPPORTIVE ROLE TO YOUR TEAM                    BE SELFISH AND LET THE TEAM CARRY YOU

GET OFF YOU ASS ONCE IN A WHILE                                      CAMP YOUR ASS OFF

• Re: The dose and don'ts of camping
          Kill2StayCranked

You need a "DOSE" AND DON'Ts of spelling :/

• Re: The dose and don'ts of camping
            nicedrewishfela

DON'T... ever offer anyone advice again regarding this game, ever.

Please.

• Re: The do's and don'ts of camping
              Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I think skilled (v. kiddie scared to go out in the open) campers will like your list.  I hate campers.  But if they fall in the Do's category, I'm cool with it because if I'm killed by one, it's my own fault for not being careful.

nuttin2say

I don't know. Most of the time when I have to resort to hard camping it's so I can change the momentum ... and carry my team.

How about a "Do and Don't" for "rushers?"

DO - know what you're running into before storming into a corner camper with an SG

DON'T - keep "rushing" while you're 2 - 12 so that you end up 4 - 24.

DARKPHOENIX800

I suppose both arguments are evenly matched, campers will blame rushers for rushing, rushers will blame campers for camping. True rushers could slow down a bit and note their surroundings but equally campers could show a bit more honour and fight.   

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Forget about honor. A kill is a kill no matter what method was used to attain it.

The soldiers in the army don't go running and gunning in the open just to show more honor. They use cover, their surroundings, and tactics to their advantage.

What does campers do? Yes. They use cover, their surroundings, and tactics to their advantage.

DARKPHOENIX800

Call of duty was never meant to be 100% realistic even in the modern warfare series, which is why I liked the game. People are expecting a arcade first person shooter to be completely life like. It was meant to be a run and gun game not a tactical shooter. To be honest if you want realistic violence, death and destruction join the army. personally I hated battlefield 4 because it was too immersive I don't feel confinable playing it.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

You can play the game anyway you want to. Just don't expect everyone to play the way you want them to. There is no rule that says people should run and gun all the time.

Btw, why do you care how others play? Is it because you find it hard to beat campers? You didn't pay for their copy of the game. What they do in-game is non of your business.

I've been on this forums long enough and quite frankly, people complains about things that they are having difficulty with. It's just the nature of the community.

PUR4IDO

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

You can play the game anyway you want to. Just don't expect everyone to play the way you want them to. There is no rule that says people should run and gun all the time.

Btw, why do you care how others play? Is it because you find it hard to beat campers? You didn't pay for their copy of the game. What they do in-game is non of your business.

I've been on this forums long enough and quite frankly, people complains about things that they are having difficulty with. It's just the nature of the community.

Why do I care? Because those people who sit in corners, hiding, etc are one of the main reason's this franchise is dying.

Lady_Bathory

I really couldn't have said it better myself. I always get called a camper, but what they don't realize is that I keep moving, but I'm cautious and I watch my surrounding. I go slow. Had one last night call me a camper because I had just spawned and I saw him coming and so I shot and killed him. He got pissed off, but I shouldn't have to explain myself. And, if I see on my SAT-COM that someone is by me or coming towards me, yes, my ass is going to sit and hide until he shows himself, kill him (or my luck get killed first lol) and then I move on around the map. I would rather go slow and be cautious rather than run for it and no be able to view my surroundings....and the military comment was very correct. I don't see too many military people trying to shoot eachother in the open (maybe once upon a time with the old wars, but not anymore.) And they actually have sniper jobs anyway so...

nuttin2say

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

Forget about honor. A kill is a kill no matter what method was used to attain it.

The soldiers in the army don't go running and gunning in the open just to show more honor. They use cover, their surroundings, and tactics to their advantage.

What does campers do? Yes. They use cover, their surroundings, and tactics to their advantage.

I can just see it now -

Pvt. Gomer yells across the valley to Tally Bahn, "Hey, stop camping up there, ya noob!"

Then Tally Bahn yells back, "Stop calling in Stealth Bomber strikes and using tubes, dork!"

Oh, and not to leave out Sgt. Pepper, "Hey, watch me do a 360 no-scope with my Barrett fiddy cal!"

only to be killed mid-air by Mjr. Vodka, "Haha! I'm gonna kill all of you 'cause you can't see me hiding in this rock glitch!"

DARKPHOENIX800

I don't see how you can win a argument by comparing a video game to real life. There is no comparison, yes in a real war your survival would depend on stealth and camping. you only have one life, once your gone, your gone leaving a family to greave for you for the rest of their lives.

In call of duty your health regenerates, you respawn,you can quit the game when ever you want, you have perks to give you superpowers, You have no choice in a real war to fight or die fighting. And as for the 360 no-scope comment, do you even know how much a fully loaded barrett 50 cal weighs and not forget to mention the colossal recoil it generates, so yes that stunt would be impractical if not impossible to pull of in a real gun fight.

So why take a video game so seriously when its not meant to be realistic.

nicedrewishfela

This comparison bugs me as well.

In real war... it's not a game. There really are no winners. You can't have a negative K/D.

But CoD, CoD is a game. It's meant to be played as such, in the spirit of competition.

Do I feel like everyone has the right to play how they want? Yes, to some degree. Those who choose play outside the spirit of the game, I feel, lose that privilege. Camping, as discussed in this and other threads... is subjective. It seems no two people define it the same way.

But I think we'd all agree that players who ignore objectives for selfish purposes are playing outside the spirit of the game. Players who exploit glitches or spawns are playing outside the spirit of the game. Players who mod their controller or game are playing outside the spirit of the game. Players who hack the game are playing outside the spirit of the game.

nuttin2say

DARKPHOENIX800 wrote:

I don't see how you can win a argument by comparing a video game to real life.

So why take a video game so seriously when its not meant to be realistic.

Did you know there is an art form called "realism?" In realism, the art IS supposed to be realistic. Where you seem to be confused is with the suffixes. Real - ISM and real - ISTIC may incorporate the "real," but they are not real - ITY. Video games are an interactive art form to begin with. An art form that incorporates real ISM into its presentation and function, therefore, logically invites (but does not require - big difference) the participant to use real ISTIC responses to the stimula. No where in that interpretation is there ever a claim made that either member of the creative collaboration MUST think of any aspect of the final created art as being real sans any suffix.

My comments were hyperbole. Since you don't know what realism is, I'm not even going to bother with explaining hyperbole. The ultimate point I was implying was that gamers cannot complain about their performances in an art form based on realism when they employ unrealistic tactics and strategies.

Thus my position on Quick Scoping that one member of this forum loves to chide me about. Personally, I do not like QS. I think it is stupid and does not fit in an artwork based on realism. However, since this is not real, I'm not particular one way or the other as to whether it remains in the game. If it leaves, great. If it stays, who cares? And I can come to that conclusion by applying realism to the debate - statistically, a single QSer does not affect my performance in any particular match. In fact, a single match in which 90% of the players are QSing does not affect my performance in the aggregate, either.

Does that help you understand the comparisons to the real?

I do have one other question though. If games are not meant to socialize and teach us how to employ real world strategies and tactics in a sterile environment where mistakes are forgiven so that we are better at employing those strategies and tactics in the real world where mistakes are not forgiven ... why does every military in the world practice via war games?

DARKPHOENIX800

It was obvious that your comments were deliberately exaggerated to reinforce your point.

If I have read your reply correctly, you view video games as a type of  art, like a painting or a sculpture. but like any art peace it has to be inspired by some thing that already exists in the real world. As you say video games have been implemented to produce realism art, as a splitting imitation or reflection of reality. But some times this art can be warped by fantasy and glorifies war as a game. With these FPS the developers try to make the game as realistic as possible for the sake of realism but inject some fantasy in to it for the sake of entertainment. 

I suppose that the military train their soldiers via war games so they can learn from mistakes and effectively formulate strategies.

nuttin2say

DARKPHOENIX800 wrote:

I suppose that the military train their soldiers via war games so they can learn from mistakes and effectively formulate strategies.

Exactly. But my question there was also meant as a metaphor for games in general. ALL games are meant to socialize people to certain behaviors and/or socialize us as to how to deal with thematic situations. For example, one lesson that can be garnered from COD is how to stay calm in the face of unknowns that can inflict serious "damage" to us. Basically, applying real-world strategies and tactics (whether the game is a FPS arcade game or a Monopoly board game) allows us to make mistakes without the consequences of real life.

So to argue that applying real world comparison to a video game is somehow "stupid" misses the point of ALL games, not just COD.

thewolph

Unless you paid for my game, don't tell me how to play. Just sayin'.

Im_Old_School

I feel like I just read the dialogue to Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First" routine.  That or just finished listening to Lawrence Fishburn explain the Matrix to me.

So...

Do, "Use a Sniper or LMG down long lines of sight but Don't "Camp in a corner with an SMG or Shotgun"

Most of the complaints of campers are about those using a Sniper Rifle or an LMG and conversely those using SMG's and Shotgun's get more complained on for running around in a perceived constant state of "Cranked"  so this somewhat flies in the face of 9 months of playstyle development by a lot of players.  Even more so in TDM.  

Do "Use IED's responsibly"

I totally missed the "Proper usage of an IED" section in the instruction manual.  I didn't know there was an "irresponsible" use of an IED when camping.  This sounds like something  a mother would tell her daughter on her way out the door on her first date.

Do, "Provide a Supportive role to your team"

Hey, if you can't be an Athlete, be an Athletic Supporter!

Don't, "Be selfish and let the team carry you"

If it takes the "whole" team to carry you I don't think being selfish is your problem.  I think it's probably your aim.

Do, "Get off your ass once in a while" and Don't, "Camp your ass off"

This basically say's the same thing only in a Do and Don't format...

Ghosts is a campers game. aw will also be a campers game. Camping is boring, but that's how you do well at cod now.

b0bjack413

I think you forgot to mention the tracker and thermal sights... I hate it when campers use them... Just makes it worst...